free website stats program 2005 Sportster Acceleration Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Sportster Acceleration Problem

Swalck

Help! I have a 2005 883 Custom Sportster rebuilt to a 1200. I am the original owner. My bike is well-maintained, garage-kept. Last year my bike started this issue and I haven't found anyone who can figure it out. It starts fine but spits out through the carb. Once it warms up while we're on a ride, I lose acceleration. There is no response from the throttle but the bike does not cut out. We were able to coast home after only riding 1/2 mile with the bike running but not accelerating. We were passed by an elderly gentleman on a ten-speed! I have done the following: rebuilt the carb; replaced plugs, fuel, and vacuum lines; replaced the air filter; cleaned the petcock. Is there anything else I should check? Throttle, computer, electronics?

No, I have not checked it for leaks while it is happening. I'll see what I can do. If anything else comes to mind until I can check that out, please let me know! I'm desperate to ride!

Also remove the air cleaner cover and watch for two things while it's running.....1; A healthy squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump nozzle down the throat of the carb and 2; The slide rising and falling as you whack the throttle. You could've pinched the slide diaphram under the top cover if you worked in that area of the carb or put the spring on the wrong side of the accelerator pump diaphram if you replaced that. Just a thought:s
WAP.gif

After all of the OTHER good suggestions,,,, BigAll66 has some good ones to try also...

Sure sounds like Not enough fuel getting into the carb. Float not allowing enough of a fill OR FLOW into the carb bowl... The Vacuum hose faulty on the tank gas flow valve to carb...

That can be checked with taking loose the vacuum hose from the carb side and apply a little suction with the mouth then tongue to hold the vacuum ,,, a trick to check...

I usually have the float bowl OFF WHILE doing the vacuum check to see the flow thru the carb (use a catch can for the fuel)... IF any Little obstruction there, it will show up as Not much gas flowing into the can.

IT should piddle a good stream with the bowl off and the float just hanging there.

I also use this method to clean out the line to the float bowl needle valve as it is open enough in this position to allow small pieces to come by the needle valve.

Start with a Clean catch can,,,,You may be surprised at how much trapped Junk may show up...

I just fixed a friends bike doing this and the little black pieces DID come out with out taking the float and needle apart..

Disclaimer:
Just My Way

Gotta be lack of fuel there some place.:dknow

signed....BUBBIE

Well,,,, All that help should of gotten a response..

What did happen to this bike...

I'll PM the member and ask to post here...

Hopefully the FIX...:D

signed....BUBBIE

I read that you said the bike was kicked up to a 1200, when you did this , was carb rejetted with bigger jets {more power,more fuel}

Slight similarity with my recently purchased 03 XL1200S (accell issue when hot) and discovered two of the three mounting bolts were loose on backing plate. Tore everything apart, cleaned & re-installed. Purrs like a kitten...she was sucking air from behind back plate and going uber-lean.

Back