free website stats program 2005 roadster ignition switch problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 roadster ignition switch problem

Hello all new here. I have a 2005 1200 roadster battery has 12.8 volts,load test o.k. When i turn the key switch to acc. I have power to everything.12.6volts to the two solid red wires,turn the key to ignition i have no power to none of the 3 wire that run to the switch.cleaned and tightened all connections applied dielectric grease to all connections and to all fuses.harley says $350 for new switch anybody with any cheaper suggestions or is it something besides the switch.

I don't have a wiring diagram for your bike but without looking at one I will say that you should have at least the same amount of wires showing power with the ignition switch turned to the on position as when it is in the acc. position. If that is not the case I would say the ignition switch is bad.

As for the cost of the switch, $350.00 sounds high if its just for the switch itself. If that includes the labor to replace as well I would not be surprized to be told that figure form the HD dealer.

Do like Breeze suggest and purchase form the source he gave and replace it yourself to save some $ for other HD bling :D

Hello all new here. I have a 2005 1200 roadster battery has 12.8 volts,load test o.k. When i turn the key switch to acc. I have power to everything.12.6volts to the two solid red wires,turn the key to ignition i have no power to none of the 3 wire that run to the switch.cleaned and tightened all connections applied dielectric grease to all connections and to all fuses.harley says $350 for new switch anybody with any cheaper suggestions or is it something besides the switch.

It sounds like the contacts in the switch aren't making. You can open that switch up once it's removed to check the contacts. The new switch should be under $100 . Check with another dealer or post the part number for the switch here.

Others will be along to give you good advice for troubleshooting the switch, I'm not electricall competent. But I can search Harley parts. If you do need a new switch find another HD shop. See link Latus Harley-Davidson | Harley-Davidson Part Number Search

OOPS!! The link I copied, reverted to home page, not the page showing the switch. Part #71527-04, $21. I saw lots of non OEM switches from $12 up on other sites.

DOH! I better take the rest of the day off, been in the pool too long something's shorted out. :swoon

We all have our days. I look at so many things here I start to imagine what I'm looking at is something else too.:D

No big deal.

I believe the switch itself can be had for around $70

Thanks for the help guys. The dealer said it is $350 because it comes with almost all the main harness. Stopped by local independet shop and they said that Harley makes a splice in replacement switch for around $70 just like glider said.

Back