free website stats program 2005 Road King won't start..:-( | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Road King won't start..:-(

RK73

New battery in Feb bough a WPS from JP Cycle. Everything has been great on the bike this morning I turn on the ignition, switch into run and hit the starter.

It clicks once and dead all lights out. I hooked up a battery tender for a couple of hours, got it to fire and then it was the same story after I had stopped it.

Going to leave tender on over night and see what happens. I check all fuses and they were good also all connections on tank console looked well.

Possible battery is bad or other problem on the horizon. I no it was a white label battery but to only get this much out of it makes a guy say hmmmm. Sine it went dead if I turn ignition no lights nothing, turn accseory and the speedo lights up. Makes it hard to get codes.

I'd appreciate any ideas before I lay down $170 on oem battery or tow to the shop 50 miles away. :-(

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same thing happen with that battery. went to a Deka glass mat battery five years now same battery, Hope this helps

Progress I left out some details this morning I noticed the batt connections were a little loose so I gave them a twist. But still same deal.

After posting I went out and turn on nada. So this time I jiggled the harnesses with the seat off on the ground side. Look at that lights!

So rather than try to start I pulled codes

Ended up getting this one displayed "SP-B1006"

Now for the question of the day how do I clear the code? Was reading another post and it stated to clear code and run at 3k rpm for 5min see if it comes back. I have no accessories stock light bar is installed and a dobreck 3.5gen is ground to the batt.

Bike started twice so for now I'm leaving tender on this evening.

I'm thinking tomorrow evening I pull the ground and take a wire brush to all the connections does that sound like a good starting point?

Also going to ask a newbie question how can I test the voltage at the battery while running? I'm learning as I go along. :) why pay a dealer they aren't with me on the side of the road!

Sounds like you've solved your issue. Suggest now you recheck that harness and find where the wire insulation is worn off and repair/tape wrap. Check if there is a way to route the harness away from the rubbing point.

Then, take that brush to all the battery terminals and connections. You might want to add this as a regular maintenance item.

Your error B 1006 is "Accessory Line Over Voltage instruments." When you have the code displayed, release the button and repress as fast as you can. Should blink off then on. Hold a couple seconds and the code should be replaced with "Clear".

As for checking the battery while the bike is running, its easy with the tender harness. Connect the probes from your multimeter to the pins on the harness. No need to directly access the battery.

Good luck. If the voltage is much over or under 12.6, check back.

Lol meter no working will tune in tomorrow. Looks like a little boy was playing with daddy's meter he left out and dropped it. Doh! But thanks for the reply.

Hello when in idle bouncing between 12.8 and 13.4 settings on mm are set as in the picture for you to see in case I set it incorrectly. Electrical is new territory. :)

Thanks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370995967.693421.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370995967.693421.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 14
Hello when in idle bouncing between 12.8 and 13.4 settings on mm are set as in the picture for you to see in case I set it incorrectly. Electrical is new territory. :)

Thanks

Drop the voltage to the 20 volt notch and recheck. If still above 12.6 - 7, you may have a regulator problem. Someone with more experience and knowledge will be checking in.

Thanks

When taking this reading, were the lights on or off? :dknow Retake this reading with the lights OFF. Then take a reading with the engine at 3000 rpm, aprox. Your second reading should be at 14, or better, volts. If so, charging system should be in good condition. I think you fornd your problem when you moved the harness and found the lost voltage. :s Check and fix as mentioned before and you should be riding regular. please let us know how you make out with this.

Sounds like the battery is toast. If you want, try this home test.

Remove all battery cables from battery. Charge battery until the green light on Tender says battery is at full charge. Now place a 1157 automotive bulb across the battery terminals while also monitoring the voltage across the battery.

After 7 hours, the battery should be able to keep the bulb bright and the voltage should not fall below 10 volts. If the bulb goes out after just 5 hours, the battery is shot or your Tender is not peaking the battery.

Thanks for the feedback. Work got in the way hope to test using steps outlined tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Back