free website stats program 2005 Road King Runs Hot | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Road King Runs Hot

When I ride in town for any length of time when I shut her down the engine is cracking as it cools off. On highway trips this doesn't happen.

I know it's air cooled but it seems like it's way too hot after just short in town rides of 10 miles or so.

Oil level is good.

Hearing the exhaust system cracking noises,after shut off, is normal even on the water cooled Harley's.Harley exhaust will be cherry red,behind the heat shields,after 3 minutes at idle.

Is it bone stock or are there any engine mods? These beasts do run hot when doing in town riding.

Is it bone stock or are there any engine mods? These beasts do run hot when doing in town riding.
There is a Screamin' Eagle emblem on it. The guy I bought it from told me that it only pertained to air flow.

He just had knee replacement surgery and is in a re-hab center so I can't really bother him right now.

There is a Screamin' Eagle emblem on it. The guy I bought it from told me that it only pertained to air flow.

He just had knee replacement surgery and is in a re-hab center so I can't really bother him right now.
He alsomsaid something about a lifetime air cleaner. .???

Last edited by a moderator:
When it's possible you should contact the previous owner to find out what mods if any were done.
You may also want to consider adding a fuel management system such as a Dobeck fuel system, adding more fuel will help cool the engine as they run too lean to begin with.

The expansion rate and cooling rate of the metals after shut down is most likely what you hear, you would not notice this on the hiway as the air passing over the engine is drawing the heat away JMO My trike makes lots of noises after I put her away @ night

10 miles usually is not enough to get engine completely hot. So what noises are being made are the expansion and contraction noises which you will not change....

Back