free website stats program 2005 ft end wobble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 ft end wobble

Thanks Glider, I know some people will ask why, but front end wobble is dampened by the front tire contact patch (more tread means more road friction induced losses) and benefits from added frictional losses from bearing preload adjustment (slower controlled fall away), from the cables and wiring dress, as well as the riders arms, grip and is affected by the overall loading of the bike on the fork steering geometry. Lower the front tire air pressure 3 PSI lower than stock setting temporarily and see if wobble is worse or better. Raise it 3 PSI over the stock setting temporarily and see if the wobble is worse or better. Now do the same for the back...I know, I know, just do it temporarilly to see if there is a place where it is minimized. Now thinking back, which way the fork attitude/angle change. Would steeper angle up front dampen it...you may want to see if you can move the fork tubes up or down in the triple tree if you can.

In sport bike circles a steering damper was used as a last resort, due to very radical racing steering geometry. On a Harley all this is relevent, only the steering geometry with increased trail actually is less subject to wobble.

Last edited:
Thats something I have not tried,air pressure change on both tires, that will be done as soon as I get the bike back from hd again

I know you have already done this but it sounds exactly what my buddy's bike experienced on the way to Sturgis last year. The steering head bearing needed adjustment. We sat at a Harley Dealer and watched a "certified" mechanic adjust it three times before he got it right. He test rode it each time he made the adjustment. This is the second time my buddy has had problems with the head bearing and the last mechanic suggested having it repacked when he got home. The bike has less than 10,000 miles on it. I know it could be a lot of other things but it sure sounds familiar.

glider is on the right track rear end alignment is where id now start, the fork alignment should be right if a few dealers have been on it but double check by raising the front end and release the axle pinch bolts if the rhs fork moves over this will change the handling but u should pick that up when riding cos the forks will bind. steering head bearing slightly over torque will mask it a bit but not recomended as a fix. is the bike lowered??

the neck and forks have been taken apart, once in millwakie (sp error). harley could not find prthers who have had tis problem, I am looking for some others that that have had this problem to the extreem, pocketrocket tell your buddy if wobble comes back it comes back when the weather gets hotter.

I am having the same problem! i have 2002 flhtcui. it happens between 55mph -30mph.
i notice it has more to do with the RPM's. it really starts aroung 2,300rpm and lower
we balance both wheels and tires, checked the neck bearings,made sure the rotors werent warped. ichanged the brake pads to make sure the werent sticking to the rotors.
still no improvement! we checked front and rear wheel to make sure the were aligned, i used a long flouescent bulb on the ground.
i am going to change the tires even though the have tread. I have metzlers. which i love.
i might try avons this time.

One final thing, after the tires (which is the most significant thing affecting front end wobble and weave), you might want to try a fork brace...it stiffens the front fork and may retune front end vibration/oscillation...again a sport bike metric trick that worked on one of my earlier brand Y bikes...

Had same issue with my Heritage at a coast at 40mph. Problem was the main bolt at triple tree. Spin chrome cap off and tighten bolt "gorrilla" tight. Worked for me.

Friend of mine has a 2007 fat boy same problem , began May this year and went on till Sept. just about everything on the bike was changed but couldn't cure the wobble. In the end the crankshaft went and they replaced the engine and that cured the problem.

i had the same problem on my 2002 flhtcui I had changed my tires from DUNLOPS to METZELERS. I was following the tire pressure in the manual not knowing Metzlers need about 8lbs per tire MORE!!!! Problem solved after 6 months and two differnt mechanics!!

Back