free website stats program 2005 1200 Custom | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 1200 Custom

bikernick

I'm making that big step in buying my wife her first Harley. She's been shopping around and found a 2005 1200 Custom Sportster with very low miles. What is the track record on the 2005s? Any specific problems with this year/model?

Picked up a 2005 1200 custom in Mt. Vernon, Illinois in January. I replaced the tires, battery, starter selonoid and handle bar grips.
This bike is very reliable and I have no regrets. There was one recall for the fuel shutoff vave sticking in the reserve position - check to see if the bike your looking at was included in the recall and if so was it done.
The rear master cylinder mounting bolt has a tendency to come slightly loose once in a while on mine- some medium locktite cured that problem.

Thanks. I just checked it out at the dealer. Bike has only 800 miles on it, lots of chrome, extras. Military member deploying had to get rid of it so he sold it to the dealer. My wife was originally looking at a new 08 883 until she saw this one. Definitely think she will be better served by the 1200.

Thanks. I just checked it out at the dealer. Bike has only 800 miles on it, lots of chrome, extras. Military member deploying had to get rid of it so he sold it to the dealer. My wife was originally looking at a new 08 883 until she saw this one. Definitely think she will be better served by the 1200.

2+ for the 2005 XL1200C, I have the 2004 XL1200R and did opt for the 2005 4.4 gal tank, and really the carbureted 2004 to 2006 models are the easiest and lowest cost to do Stage 1 mod (carb kit is all of $36), and the C model already has plenty of "CHROME" as standard (I opted R model for the dual disc brakes and...grey and black look, but that is just me). Yeah, my bronze beauty goes with SoCal and get out whenever I can. :D

newhd74fan-albums-04_xl1200r_sportster_09_04_30-picture1038-new_mods_added_windscreen_gps_accessory_pillion_pad_backrest_pad_tool_bag_misc_trim.jpg

Back