free website stats program 2004 super glide Transmission Fluid.... | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 super glide Transmission Fluid....

mder123

Banned
Ok friends you guys / gals are excellent... This may sound like a stupid question but her I go. I check the transmission fluid with the bike in the upright position, not on the stand as per the owners manual. Here is the question " do you screw the dipstick all the down, then out and look at the level or do you just dip it in and look at the level". If I screw it down, the fluid is obviously to high, if I dip it the fluid is just right? ( stupid I know)

Mike

Dont screw it in to check the level just dip it in but ensure it is sitting at the angle that it would screw in at

Brian

The only silly questions are the ones you have not asked and then you never know the answer

Brian

Like Brian said, you need to make sure that the dipstick is at the same angle it will be if screwed in. So to ensure this, just "catch" the thread so that it is just starting to screw in. I usually do this by turning the dipstick lefty, until you feel it "bounce" on the starter thread, then turn it righty a smidge until it has just caught. Take it out and check it. Remember, the TRANNY has to be at operating temp, not the engine. Takes longer for the tranny to heat up then the engine. Bike upright and level (unless your book says otherwise).

TQ

Back