free website stats program 2004 Sportster XL1200R: Unknown Electical Problem (Codes Included) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 Sportster XL1200R: Unknown Electical Problem (Codes Included)

Well I guess I need to take it to another shop since the HD Shop in my area has NO idea. Since they (HD SHop) said the charging system was ok; guess I will just have to get a second opinion. Thank You

One more question, will it hurt my bike if I keep riding it? When the engine light and battery light come on; my bike still runs good-no problems-just the lights coming on and going off. I am having withdrawls from riding cause I dont want to damage anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would almost bet that you have a short (low resistance leakage path to ground)...that is slowly discharging the battery overnight. Continuing to ride this way will ruin the new battery you just got, as they are made for surface discharge, constant full charge, not deep discharges that will shorten it's life. Get a Battery Tender to keep the charge up until you find the problem.

I would look first at the mods you did in both the turnsignal and tail light areas (check for cut or damaged insulation). Did you remember to check internal condition of the sockets, cleaning them and using dielectric grease, as well as in the fuse box contacts? Also check the run of the real tail light and license plate light sockets and wiring. It runs in a metal guide on the tire side of the fender (if you unseated the harness, the back tire can hit it and damage things). Make sure you check wiring harness areas where there is ANY evidence of moisture/corrosion or abraded contacts, use electrical tape, heatshrink or clear vinyl tubing to provide protection. Be patient and disturb things as little as possible, so your inspection will be valid and you WILL find the problem.

Last edited:
One more question, will it hurt my bike if I keep riding it? When the engine light and battery light come on; my bike still runs good-no problems-just the lights coming on and going off. I am having withdrawls from riding cause I dont want to damage anything.

It's not doing it any good with the lights coming on. More than likely it's not charging at that time and low voltage can do some damage to components. Better to find the problem first.

Well put on the tender and went through everything; checking wires, plugs, and everything-nothing. So rode after battery tender gave green light incase maybe a plug wasnt plugged in all the way and it was fixed now. Rode 30 miles (it was late when finished or would have rode longer) and no engine or battery light. So I though good fixed. Nexy morning get on bike to run some errands and about 10 miles down rode battery and engine light came on. Code P0652. Battery was low in charge, so something draining over night. Going to take to a different shop to have them test the regulator. Thanks for your help and advise, if you guys got any more ideas let them flow. I love to work on bike, and it is nice to be able to fix myself. Thanks

I don't think something was draining it overnight. More like it's not charging as you ride (charging problem)

Back