free website stats program 2004 Sportster XL1200C Rear Running Lights | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 Sportster XL1200C Rear Running Lights

jerryurq51

I repaired shorted wires going to the left rear turn signal. After the repair the left turn signal works great. However, it doesn't operate as a running light. The right turn signal does operate as a running light. My Clymer Repair Manual doesn't say anything about this and the wiring diagram doesn't show anything for the rear running light. By the way, both the left and right rear lights have only two wires and have single filament bulbs. Any suggestions?

Hi Jerryugq51 and welcome to HDTimeline...I know there will be more posters to help you shortly, but in the interim...we need a little more info before we can help. :)

1) Is the turn signals and their attendant wiring "stock" and when the shorted wiring problem with the left rear turn signal occured. Did you follow the color codes properly when "reworking" them?

Taillightsockets.png

Do you have an HD Service manual or Electrical Service manual? Hopefully it is not bad as that part is more than HD (Hundred Dollars) "entry" fee every time we go to the HD dealer, with a $60 price of admission...but at least they do not cost the typical amount going in... :small3d007:

2) You are correct, I have the same year Sporty and my turn signals "double as running lights" with a single wire and filament which implies that there is a common control module called the TSM (Turn Signal Module) or more likely the TSSM (Turn Signal and Security Module) involved... :(

The rear signals do not work as running lights on US models unless you have a module installed to do that. If your right light is working as a running light, check that side out for a problem, it shouldn't be lit.

gliders right, my 2001 sportster does not have running lights in the turn signals. Only the center brake light is a running light.

Animal

The rear signals do not work as running lights on US models unless you have a module installed to do that. If your right light is working as a running light, check that side out for a problem, it shouldn't be lit.

Opps, Glider's correct as always, I have a module installed to allow running light operation when I changed to LED type...:small3d015:

Back