free website stats program 2004 Sportster no power to speedo or odometer | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 Sportster no power to speedo or odometer

JDavis187

Hey guys im racking my brain here and thought i would ask the the pros. I have a recently purchased 2004 1200c and i put a new air cleaner on (dont know how or why this would cause the issue) and went for a test ride and i got no power to my speedometer or odometer. Also my break lights will not light up nor will my turn signals work. The front turn signals light up when i key on but the they buttons do nothing. The brake light has the usual running light on but the second filament will not light up with the foot or hand brake. I thought maybe it was a short in the switch covers so i pulled them both off and looked for shorts etc, none to be found, also to be noted the horn button does nothing also.

Did all this work before you changed the AC? Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have the manual for your year/model bike?

it did work prior to the AC install, but i would be at a loss as to why that upgrade would cause it. I currently do not have a manual for the bike. the only thing that was out of ordinary prior to the AC upgrade was my check engine light would come on if i was running at a low rpm, if i shifted down and raised the rpm it would go away. Im trying to locate the fuse panel, im guessing its behind the battery?

I am not familuar with your model, we will get some sporster owners to chime in soon. I would reccommend getting the manual, it can be a life saver (at least a time saver) when asking questions and getting answers. Have you checked all the connections to the battery and starter? Take them loose and clean and tighten, sometime that is all it takes. I am not much on electrical issues but it really sounds like a fuse is blown.

i found the fuse panel and they all appeared to be good but i tested each one and found a bad one, i replaced it and all the issues seemed to be gone now. Thanks for the info, i guess i should have dug a little further before posting.

Glad you found your problem, and thanks for getting back to us.

Back