free website stats program 2004 Sportster backfired and died now nothing. | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 Sportster backfired and died now nothing.

wheelstoo

2004 1200XL started backfiring very bad lost power and shut down, and finally left me on the side of the road. The battery is new this season, and fired right up before the breakdown. Now, I get no power at all; putting the key in the "on" position does absolutely nothing. No lights no gauges. It will not jump start either. If you can help Thanks.
The battery test 12.78v with meter.I took the Voltage regulator off and the back is spongy and cracked.The battery cables are tight and the 6 15amp and 30amp fuses seem good. Thats all I know now.

This may be a strange question but what type of headlight bulb do you have???

Whatever is stock.

That cancels my theory of a high wattage bulb melting the connector at the head lamp and shorting out which will cause bike to stop running.
Have you also properly load tested battery?

Not load tested. But what has buddies stumped is the fact that nothing comes on when key is turned on. Will try and meter the key switch tomorrow.

Not load tested. But what has buddies stumped is the fact that nothing comes on when key is turned on. Will try and meter the key switch tomorrow.

The load test will show a weak or shorted battery. It maybe just enough that when the demand is asked for by turning on the key the battery can not produce it. And you have no power. With the key switch while turning on jiggle key to see if lights come alive and then you will have your answer.

have done that. Im wondering if votlage reg is gone will it keep lights from coming on. Dont know enough about volt meter or probe to get any readings on meter. Buddy is coming by tomorrow to see if he can figure out anything.

have done that. Im wondering if votlage reg is gone will it keep lights from coming on. Dont know enough about volt meter or probe to get any readings on meter. Buddy is coming by tomorrow to see if he can figure out anything.

Again if battery has not been load tested that's where I would go next. If a new battery was installed more and likely would have the same fault.

With nothing coming on with key on I would check operation of the key with your Volt/Ohm meter.
tourbox

Back