free website stats program 2004 FXSTB tach | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 FXSTB tach

ciscokid

hello fellow scootriders.
ive been trying to install an after market tach for a few days now and can not get thing to work. ive connected the signal wire to the data wire in the speedo connector. and ran power wire and ground. now the tach will swing from 0 too 8000 then back to 0 again then it just jumps up and down from 0 to 1000 .
what i did to test tach was coil a copper wire around the spark plug wire 5 or 6 turns and connect the signal wire from the tach to that and it works just fine.
how do i get this working right. im at the end of my wire lol. :D

Last edited:
i was thinking about that too. on mine is three wire's to the coil and according to the book one goes to the kill switch and two go to the electronic thingy under the seat. so i assume
that the one going to kill switch would be the one to solder too. i dunno but im having a dickens of a time figgering this out. trying to keep from shelling out $350 for the speedo/tach at the dealer, its looking like im gunna have to go that way..

Welcome to The Forum, What brand of tach is it and do you have a stock coil?

stock coil and it say's mid-usa 48031 . i got this on ebay. its a small cheap tach 4 wire red=12v blue= light green=signal and black ground . pretty simple straight for ward tach.
and thank you for the welcome Jack

Back