free website stats program 2004 1200XL Sportster that I bought used that burps or coughs | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 1200XL Sportster that I bought used that burps or coughs

FlyBoy01

I have a 2004 1200XL Sportster that I bought used that burps or coughs (not severe but persistant) at take off from a dead stop or when you lug the rpms down.

It has the Screamin eagle pipes and ignition box and the dealer re-jetted the carb upon install according to records.

Any suggestions?

I'll check the records this evening and re-post. I've read some stories of a bad crankshaft position sensor, but wouldn't that cause this problem all the time and result in a complete ignition sustem failure?

I checked the paper work that came with the bike and it shows the following mods and Part numbers:

Screamin Eagle Ignition - P/N 31785-04A
Screamin Eagle Exhaust - P/N 80423-04
Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner Kit - P/N 29042-04
Slow Jet - P/N 27170-89

Sure enough, the cover for the idle screw is still intact.

I'll be drilling that bad boy out and going thru the adjustment procedure mentioned this weekend.

It makes me now wonder if the dealer ever even installed the Slow Jet that they billed the previous owner for.

I'll be going inside to find out when I can get time. I plan on replacing the carb to mainfold and manifold to jug seals when I get time as well...

Sounds like you are on your way! Follow Glider' posted link and Hobbit' experienced help and you can't go wrong. My 2004 Sporty runs great...the stock Keihin worked fine with their setup, and don't forget the two #4 washers under the needle and jetting specified is right on.

ok for a stock bike the SE ignition is not repeat not needed all it does is increase the rev limit by 500rpms, which on a stage 1 sporty is a waste of $$$$$ - now if you had cams/heads and Mikuni HSR42 carb - different matter :D
the SE kit is standard fair for a 2004 bike will be SE with stock cover and te pipes are possibly slash cut slipons
all they have changed is the Pilot get to a 45 for may need a 46 or even a 48 in there but i can bet they have not adusted the mixture at all and just left it as is.
To do the mixture - Needs
A. the Carb off the bike
B. A taped metal drill bit
C. a self tapping screw
D. AN EXTREMELY STEADY HAND - why ? drill to far and you will drill thru the idle screw ruining the carb
E. the idle screw 2.5 turns out for starts, if you need 3 or more you need a bigger pilot jet :D

hope this helps

Hobbit, if you are real careful you can orientate the carb on the bike enough to get the welsh plug out careful is the key here:s

Jack I cheat even further I have 90deg angled drills and a specific carb tool :)
WAP.gif

LOL I knew it great idea thats what I like about here good info all the time:s

I finally had time to pull the carb off and verify the jet size and confirm that the shop installed a #45 slow jet and #180 main jet as indicated in the previous owner's paper work. I also drilled out the factory seal on the adjustment screw, so I could "tune" this carb when reinstalled.
Additionally I found that the idle throttle cable (return) was broken and appeared to have been so for a while.

I also replaced the manifold seals while I was this close. The few minutes work and cost hardly seems like skipping over the possibility that they may be a contributor to my issue.

After cleaning everything up well, I put it back together and fired it up. While tuning the adjustment screw and reving it up, I discovered a leak from the accelerator diaphragm cover.

While I had the carb off on the bench, I had filled the bowl and cycled the throttle mechanism thru several times and it didn't leak, so that test won't always help you detect this problem. It had probably been leaking for a while and the small amount of gas that dripped would have probably been undetectable. I assume this another culprit of ethanol gas. It had cost me hundreds on my boat.

After replacing the diaphragm and putting things back together, no more leaks and an obvious improvement to the throttle responsiveness without the burp. Then I adjusted out the adjuster screw until she purred. When I took her out on the road, she ran great...

PS
I read somewhere on this forum about using a glove to prevent burns. My 2004 doesn't have the cross over like older Sportsters, but you can get a nice little "cherry" on your forehead off the front turndown pipe while leaning over looking for the adjuster......

Fly Boy01

Congratulations on getting your '04 Sporty sorted...enjoy the ride, I certainly have! :D

Back