2003 With a Power Commander

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by ronjons, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ronjons

ronjons New Member

Last year I installed a Power Commander on my 03 Ultra Classic. A month ago I made a trip from Alabama to Michigan an back and never had any trouble, until 2 weeks ago I rode to work and a back and about a mile from home my bike went dead. Like someone pulled the battery. Dashboard went out and the bike quit running. Waited 5 minutes the radio came back on and it fired back up and I rode it home. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? I was wondering if the Power Commander might of had something to do with it. It hasn't done it sense. I have it at the dealer checking it out but there not finding any problems.

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Check battery cables a power commander wont cause the dash to go dead or main circuit breaker overheated if it has one

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  3. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

Sounds more like the main circuit breaker overheated. Reset after it cooled down.

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

5. ETY2KRK

ETY2KRK Member

suggest you check out the starter relay, it may be headed south on you, that was the cause of a similar problem i had with my '00 RK several years ago. The onboard computer constantly monitors everything, and if it finds a problem, it will shut down. kinda scary when it shuts down at 50mph isn't it!!

6. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

+1 on the main breaker; common on the earlier FLs. The breaker is exposed to fairly high heat and over time, loses efficiency. A 30A breaker can deteriorate so that less than the design capacity will trip.

7. 03classic

03classic Junior Member

there is a factory recall on main circut breakers for that year bike.Have your dealer do a vin search and get it replaced at no charge.

8. ronjons

ronjons New Member

I had the recall done 5 years ago. I got it back from the dealer yesterday and had them replace the main circuit breaker. It was only a couple of bucks. They never did find anything. So far so good:)