free website stats program 2003 whining noise, confused....???? | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 whining noise, confused....????

mylesl

i have a 2003 and it developed a whining noise. i'm going to listen to the motor with a screwdriver to kinda pinpoint the noise.
no loss in power, no problems shifting.
i'm confused on the replacement of the cam tensioner... if it is just the outer do i just change that one?
i'll inspect the inner also, but i dont think i wanna pull the cam case to do the inner. i'm not sure i have the right tools. i know i'm capable of wrenching, just limited with garage space, tools, and i have a small bike lift.

When apart, IT Really isn't That Much work to tear it down... Thinking about it is the WORST part.... The manual does cover the tear-down good and TQ1 and others have good paper to read about the Made easy ways to do it...:newsmile011:

You can Cut the pushrods and go with adjustable ones. IF you tear into it

Tools needed are the same ones needed to get you thru the outside cover and outer shoe.. Just careful on the oil-pump. When pulling the outer cam cover off the crank, so gerotors just don't Fall Out on the floor... Looking how they come out of the pump and Back the SAME way and direction is important. Careful here and pump comes out as a unit so putting it back together is a cinch (same as they come out and Not reversing or flopping over):newsmile055:

Cams are together and will go back the same and will keep themselves in alignment as they are not coming out of the cam-plate.

Did I scared you off with this.:swoon

Hope not...:newsmile036:

signed....BUBBIE

i have a 2003 and it developed a whining noise. i'm going to listen to the motor with a screwdriver to kinda pinpoint the noise.
no loss in power, no problems shifting.
i'm confused on the replacement of the cam tensioner... if it is just the outer do i just change that one?
i'll inspect the inner also, but i dont think i wanna pull the cam case to do the inner. i'm not sure i have the right tools. i know i'm capable of wrenching, just limited with garage space, tools, and i have a small bike lift.

Harley Davidson Community may have a look here, or use the self help section, you can find links to HARLEY TOOLS by GEORGES GARAGE for HARLEY-Davidson Motorcycles for tools for your projects

thnx for the good info!!
i was busy in the garage taking the exhaust off, etc.
took a break for dinner , then opened the cam cover, took out a few pieces :) , and took a few pictures . i'll try posting one or two here:

Attachments

• camchain1.jpg
    camchain1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 56
  • camchain9.jpg
    camchain9.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 53
  • camchain4.jpg
    camchain4.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 54
thnx for the good info!!
i was busy in the garage taking the exhaust off, etc.
took a break for dinner , then opened the cam cover, took out a few pieces :) , and took a few pictures . i'll try posting one or two here:

I was going to ask Where is the shoe?:D

I think you found the problem. The PM's I sent you will help but you need to decide What way to go from here.. The KIT is good BUT IF you replace the shoes and make sure the chains Don't have Rough edges , new shoes will last a longer time than the first ones..

I would go Hydraulic and get the new parts needed to do the job Right.. New high volume pump and the cam-plate using the new style Hydraulic tensioners.

Wonder what the INNER shoe looks like... Usually the outer one goes first..
Dental mirror to look.... Then decide what way to go.. Simple fix or tear all apart.:newsmile093:

signed....BUBBIE

shoes? what shoes? you don't need those.:p

no really you are lucky the motor didn't go.

How many miles are on the bike?

i bought the dental mirror.
i want to upgrade to hydro, but i dont think i need a different cam.
i'm ready to cut the push rods as long as i can find relacement adjustable push rids. do i need to get into replacing the tappetts, etc? should i upgrade the cam?

and what about going with a gear driven system? changing the cams, etc??? pros/cons??

its all what you want. i am no mean an expert, but the gears are stronger and can handle beefing up the motor more. i have been told to put the gears on and never think about it again. the only con i have herd is that the gears can be noisy and they cost more. I can't say from experience because i have never listened to a TC motor with gears. some say they can't tell the difference. I would go to a dealer and see if they will let you listen to a gear TC motor.

I would inspect the cams really good. when i upgraded my 03 one cam was shot because the inner bearing had started to go and ruined the cam.

good luck!

Back