free website stats program 2003 Ultra Speedometer intermitting | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Ultra Speedometer intermitting

hovenad

Hi all,

This is my first post on here.

I have a 2003 Ultra , 15,000 miles. My speedometer is acting up and working intermittingly. After reading several posts here, I replaced the VSS. That didn't correct it. Then I checked the voltage regulator, that is strong at 14.3 to 14.4v. I do have an engine light historical indicator but I haven't checked that as of yet. Will do that this week sometime. I opened up the fairing, checked everything, it looked good. I even removed the Power Commander and nothing changed. My best guess right now is a bad speedometer or the harness for the speedo. Any other guesses before I attempt the engine code?

Thanks.

Adam

Intermittent problems have got to be the hardest thing to find. I know it's probably not the cause but it is the place to start. Check all four of the battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight. After that you can move to the ignition circuit.

I fixed my friends speedo that was acting up by cleaning the speedo sensor-easy to do, might be worth a try

I fixed my friends speedo that was acting up by cleaning the speedo sensor-easy to do, might be worth a try

my road king was doing the same thing had to clean my speedo sensor that was two years ago its been good since

You guys are right and I did that but hovenad did replaced VSS which is speedo sensor. So this must be other problem. I would start to do what 03HD883R and HDDon suggest as above.

Just wondering when it acts up if you turn the to the right (the next time you are stopped) does the speedometer start working. Or when it is working does it start acting up after a slight turn to the left?

Had same problem on an 02 Ultra every 5 to 6000 miles. Pull speedo sensor and clean. The slight magnetism of the sensor collects metal shavings on it and it starts to read funny or not work at all. Pull it and clean it. Try this first before spending a bunch of money you don't have to.

Back