free website stats program 2003 Ultra classic | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Ultra classic

fishhead

Not being a wrencher I would like some advice.
I purchased a speed sensor for my ultra classic. The bike has 54000 miles on it. My clymer manual does not explain or show where the sensor attaches away from the tranny. My bike idles terribly after the motor warms up, wanting to stall. Could this be caused by fouled plugs or a dirty air filter?

Not being a wrencher I would like some advice.
I purchased a speed sensor for my ultra classic. The bike has 54000 miles on it. My clymer manual does not explain or show where the sensor attaches away from the tranny. My bike idles terribly after the motor warms up, wanting to stall. Could this be caused by fouled plugs or a dirty air filter?

I have the same bike. If you have the standard 5-speed OEM tranny, the speed sensor mounts in a hole at the back of the starter (right) inboard of the trapdoor (left) and to the rear of the transmission upper cover. There is one small 1/4-20 socket head cap screw holding it in. Since HD will not take back electric or electronic parts (at least around here), you might as well use it.

Before you pull the wire out from under the starter, attach some strong string or fishing line to the end of the wire. That will help you snake the new wire back under the starter. The new wire attaches back where the old one was.

TQ

thanks for the help. Does the heat sensor read only the temp going under the fairing and can a high temp reading {pinned most of the time) on this gauge be something I should worry about.

I think you are referring to the temp sensor here in the dash, that has no connection to the engine, only air temp under the fairing and mostly inaccurate too.

The temp sensor for the engine is located on the rear of the front cylinder.

thanks for the help. Does the heat sensor read only the temp going under the fairing and can a high temp reading {pinned most of the time) on this gauge be something I should worry about.

If the temp gauge is the one Glider says (on the dash), that thing is absolutely useless. When you get your round tuit, order an oil temp kit and swap that stupid gauge out. Oil temp and oil pressure gauges on the dash let you keep an eye on your engine's life blood. See here:

101 Harley-Davidson Twin CAM ... - Google Book Search

Example of the oil temp gauge kit:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Roger McEwan Oil Temperature Gauge Kits for Touring [/SIZE][/FONT]

I just ran mine up the clutch cable from under the oil pan to under the fairing. Easy install.

TQ

Its the dash temp gauge and I am glad you comfirmed its uselessness. The oil temp gauge sounds like a great idea. Any thoughts about adding an oil cooler kit. Do they leaK?
Cruise control broke so I tried the initialization procedure explained here(thank you). Cruise worked on the way home from work but then didn't on the way back. Must like work as much as I do. Thanks again for all your help

Its the dash temp gauge and I am glad you comfirmed its uselessness. The oil temp gauge sounds like a great idea. Any thoughts about adding an oil cooler kit. Do they leaK?
Cruise control broke so I tried the initialization procedure explained here(thank you). Cruise worked on the way home from work but then didn't on the way back. Must like work as much as I do. Thanks again for all your help

I live down here in the Houston area so Summer riding is HOT! Especially stop-n-go. I definitely believe in an oil cooler based on my own experience with one. As Glider pointed out, one of the popular brands is the Jagg, and the 10 row low mount is what I put on. The other day I got a tip from Marv Beals at Setrab (Jagg) suggesting some SS braided oil lines with compression fitting that work on the nipples that come on the cooler and oil filter adapter. These look very good from a no leak perspective. It would be good to install the kit as it comes from Jagg, and then measure the oil lines and order the SS oil lines later. That way they WILL fit.

Drag Specialties :: Tanks & Oil Filters > Oil Lines & Fittings > UNIVERSAL STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED OIL LINES

TQ

Last edited:
Back