free website stats program 2003 Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Ultra Classic

ThaiHog

Hi Guys , i have a 2003 Anniv Model Ultra Classic , two issues i need advice on ...

1/ front brake ... my lever seems to have a lot of play until it engages the front brake ie...it feels as though you have nothing until almost the end .... is this adjustable or is it setup this way for a reason so as not to lock up the front wheel .

2/ i run 15psi in the rear shock and with a passenger i seem to get what feels like a bottoming out sensation when you hit a small stepup in the road surface , but it does not feel like the shock , the feeling is more like lack of tyre pressure as though the rim is bottoming out if that makes sense , i run 40psi in the rear tyre is that sufficient with passenger (45kg) and a bit of gear say 10kg ....

Appreciate the help , this is my first post and love the site ..

Cheers from Phuket Thailand :D

On the front brake you should not be getting to the end of the travel before you get brake. Check your fluid level and the amount of front pad left.

On the rear shock, you may want to run a little more presure in the shocks. Go up to about 25 and see how that works for you.

1/ front brake ... my lever seems to have a lot of play until it engages the front brake ie...it feels as though you have nothing until almost the end .... is this adjustable or is it setup this way for a reason so as not to lock up the front wheel.

Bleed the brake:

Reverse Brake Bleeding. - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

2/ i run 15psi in the rear shock and with a passenger i seem to get what feels like a bottoming out sensation when you hit a small stepup in the road surface , but it does not feel like the shock , the feeling is more like lack of tyre pressure as though the rim is bottoming out if that makes sense , i run 40psi in the rear tyre is that sufficient with passenger (45kg) and a bit of gear say 10kg

Your Owners Manual has some guidance, but I find you have to go by ride feel. I weight just under 200 lbs. Run 0 psi when just me riding. With passenger and stuff (about 150 lbs.), I run 25 psi. I would not put more than 30 psi in the shocks. With just a light load, you might run 15-20 psi.

TQ

Thai;;; welcome..on 93 i never could find a good setting for shocks.i got some after marker progressive ones. i read some where there were problems w/ 03 fromt brakes search here or goggle it.

I also recomend the progressive shocks but before I changed I would use 25 in the rear , also the amount on your brake pads and maybe a fluid change would do it in the brakes , when hard to bleed i have learned on this site to tie a rope around the lever to make it engage for the night , this will take some air out of it , i have lived in thailand from 85 to 1993 and envy you having a harley in Phuket
Chugg Dee

Hi Guys , i have a 2003 Anniv Model Ultra Classic , two issues i need advice on ...

1/ front brake ... my lever seems to have a lot of play until it engages the front brake ie...it feels as though you have nothing until almost the end .... is this adjustable or is it setup this way for a reason so as not to lock up the front wheel .

Appreciate the help , this is my first post and love the site ..

Cheers from Phuket Thailand :D

Funny I had the same problem with my front brake lever. I ride my bike quite a bit, so this problem has happened before. More then likely it is not that the brakes need bleed. But that the calipers pistons need cleaned.

I just did this yesterday. You can do it in an hour. You will get your front brake lever back. Rode my bike this morning HUGE DIFFRENCE. I have to do this about evey 10K or so.

Take the caliper off. Use the manual to tell you how if you do not know.

Take the pads out. There are 4 pistons in each caliper. Pump the brake lever get the pistons to come out. Not all the way. Clean each piston using brake cleaner and Qtips. You will have to hold the ones in you do not want to clean when you pump the others out. At first you wills see some of the pistons will not even move. Get them really clean. Your problem will be gone.

Use this for cleaning the calipers. I Should have searched first.

Brake Caliper Maintenance - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I also recomend the progressive shocks but before I changed I would use 25 in the rear , also the amount on your brake pads and maybe a fluid change would do it in the brakes , when hard to bleed i have learned on this site to tie a rope around the lever to make it engage for the night , this will take some air out of it , i have lived in thailand from 85 to 1993 and envy you having a harley in Phuket
Chugg Dee

Thanks Chugg , will try 25 in the rear seems like the consensus with a passenger and a load .... what do you think tyre pressure in the rear should be loaded up ?? mind you the temp here is also constantly high ...... 85 to 93 well it would have been real paradise then , its still paradise , we rode to Krabi for a charity event on the weekend followed by a big party sat night , heaps and heaps of Harleys excellent weekend and no rain !!!

Thanks Chugg:D

Hi there Hog! It seems that we will have a day of bike maintenance coming up!! As you know I grab every occation to get my tools out...

dhorne!!.. Come back any day and join us for a ride!!! We will meet you at the airport ready to go!!!

Chooke dee!!!

Hi there Hog! It seems that we will have a day of bike maintenance coming up!! As you know I grab every occation to get my tools out...

dhorne!!.. Come back any day and join us for a ride!!! We will meet you at the airport ready to go!!!

Chooke dee!!!

yes sounds like fun , i will buy the beer you supply the tools and workshop lol..... :bigsmiley20:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back