free website stats program 2003 Sportster problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Sportster problem

Whatscooking

Hello all, I need to jump in here and ask about a problem my friend is having with his Sportster 1200. We were into a ride about 30 miles or so when the bike started running bad and died, had to trailer it home. We made sure it was getting good fuel, filter is clear and flowing and drained the float bowl. The bike started up and acted fine for another 20 miles then did it again.
What setup does this year have for Ignition? Does it have a crank sensor? Does this year have the ability to show trouble codes? I am just trying to help my friend out as the local shop starts in with, well there is really no way to test it and it could co$t bal bla bla.

No it does not have a crank sensor. It has only the cam plate sensor,VOES,coil etc.
When you drained the flat bowl did you find any trash in it. You may be getting dirt from the tank. Has the bike been sitting a long time? As nakkers stated ck. your battery cables, both ends.
tourbox

Ignition modules in the nose cone can go bad and break down when hot carry some canned air when bike is hot and starts to act up open nose cone squirt some canned air on the ignition module it comes out of the can really cold and will cool the module if bike runs ok for a wee while you will know that the ignition module is the problem

Brian

I helped him about a month ago put a manual fuel shut off on the bike as he was getting a sputter out of the bike every now and then and he thought playing with the fuel valve while ridding brought it out of it but now I wonder if we fixed anything. We put a inline see through filter on it at the time and it is clear and flowing. Is this ignition module a Harley only part and what should they cost. He rides the bike often enough that I don't think the problem is from sitting.

I think there are aftermarket ignition modules for this year and model of bike

IGNITION MODULE, integrated sensor
Part No: 32465-98B
Superseded part nos: 32465-98, 32465-98A

Harley part number and description may help in search for replacement if needed

Brian

Back