free website stats program 2003 Sportster 883 C Transmission Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Sportster 883 C Transmission Problem

This is my wife's 883 C which she doesn't ride very often. I took it out the other day to charge the battery and blow the dust off of it. I started it up and let it run for a few minutes to warm up. I jumped on it, took it out of neutral and started to release the clutch and heard a pop noise from the transmission area and felt a slight lurch. I stopped before shifting into 2nd gear, shifted into neutral, back into first gear and started out again. This time there was no noise, no lurch and continued the ride. The next day I took the bike out again and experienced the same noise/lurch when the transmission was cold and in first gear. I believe and fear that I am developing a transmission or clutch problem that happens only in first gear when it's not up to normal operating temp. Once the engine and trany are up to temp, the transmission works fine. If this was a broken gear tooth issue, I would think it would appear continuously, not just when it's not warmed up. I'm hoping for a quick fix but most likely will cost major bucks to fix. Any thoughts from anyone are appreciated.

D.

Thanks for responding,
Thats the first thing I checked. I forgot to mention previously, the clutch cable broke at the adjuster about six months ago. I replaced the cable without any problems and she ran great afterwards. It's possible I may of run her a few times with limiting clutching due to the faulty cable. I'm trying to isolate the problem between the clutch and the trany. If it's a clutch issue, I'll just replace it. If it's a transmission issue, don't know if I have the proper tools in my Snap-on box or the know-how to start digging into the transmission.

D.

Thanks,
I've only adjusted it once since I replaced the cable so maybe all I need is another adjustment. The quick fixes are the best fixes.

i have a 02' 883 and when i go to ride the trans will not shift properly, the cable is adjusted and the tentioner free play is 5/8 7/8 as recomended.
when i go to shift its like the fwd shifter is going up to far and putting the trans into neutral. any help would be great.

Back