free website stats program 2003 Road King Police shuts off when riding | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Road King Police shuts off when riding

jdinino

I have a 2003 Road King Police that shuts off when riding. The electrics go dead. The engine shuts off, no dash lights, signal lights and the speedo sticks at 30MPH. After a few minutes the speedo drops to 0MPH and the dash lights come back on the bike starts and runs fine.

I thought it had something to do with the power comander so I disconnnected it wiht the same result.

A few weeeks back I loosened the tank and lifted it about an inch to slide a cable for the chatter box.

I also had to replace the regulator a few weeks back. I used the instructions on HDtalking.com to test the regulator and stator. Test revealed the Regulator was shot. Stator tested good.

Any Ideas?

Bud has you covered. To confirm your findings, I would use the small light bulb trick that Glider has suggested in the past. It will save you from replacing good parts.:s

And Welcome to the Forum.!

I've seen that on a friends 02. Some sort of releay or circut breaker heats up and shuts it down and comes back on a few minutes later. It was a simple fix. Maybe someone else out there knows what and where it is. I bet it only does this when it gets hot.

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Road King Police that shuts off when riding. The electrics go dead. The engine shuts off, no dash lights, signal lights and the speedo sticks at 30MPH. After a few minutes the speedo drops to 0MPH and the dash lights come back on the bike starts and runs fine.

I thought it had something to do with the power comander so I disconnnected it wiht the same result.

A few weeeks back I loosened the tank and lifted it about an inch to slide a cable for the chatter box.

I also had to replace the regulator a few weeks back. I used the instructions on HDtalking.com to test the regulator and stator. Test revealed the Regulator was shot. Stator tested good.

Any Ideas?
On my FLHR there is something called a bank-angle sensor. If that sensor goes bad you will experience exactly what you described. As I remember the sensor was about $32 at H-D. Looks like its worth about $1.50 <grin>

Back