free website stats program 2003 Road King motor skip (or cough) | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Road King motor skip (or cough)

rider9403

My 20032 Road King Classic skips (or what I call coughs) when slowing down and or costing, example is going through town at 30 or 35 mph and the engine skips or what I call cough. I use high oct gas and add startron to it. I put in new plugs and it still happens. Any ideas???
Thanks,

Mark

There are potentially many causes. The one that comes immediately to my mind is a pin hole that has been rubbed into the fuel line, inside the tank. This results in low fuel pressure at the injectors. Do a search for such on this site. You should find plenty of info. I would do it for you, but I am at work, and don't have time.

Good luck,
Rich P

Yep.... I would also say pin hole in the fuel line inside the tank. I replaced mine with gates fuel hose made to go inside gas tanks. I think it was part number H209 at napa.
You will need 2 sections of it as they are one foot sections. Also get 4 spring clamps and I suggest doing the fuel filter at the same time.

Yep.... I would also say pin hole in the fuel line inside the tank. I replaced mine with gates fuel hose made to go inside gas tanks. I think it was part number H209 at napa.
You will need 2 sections of it as they are one foot sections. Also get 4 spring clamps and I suggest doing the fuel filter at the same time.

I agree with the post above. If you are in the tank, replace the lines, fuel filter, and pressure regulator.

But you should check for an intake leak first before breaking into the tank. That is an easier check and fix if there is a leak. Check here:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Sounds like it's running lean to me. Had that issue with 05 carburated FLHT and replaced the slow jet only, up one size and it runs great now.

Back