free website stats program 2003 Road King Classic with about 1K miles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Road King Classic with about 1K miles

If it has not been regularly fired up, and just sitting all this time, I agree with Mr. Hoop. I would be real concerned about the need for new rings, and getting the jugs honed. Rings sitting in the same place in the jugs for what appears to be potentially years, is definitely not a good thing. If it has been getting regularly fired up, that should not be a problem. You will only have his word on that one.

That sure is a nice configuration. Price is just a bit steep for one, if it has not been kept up to snuff.

Enjoy,
rich P

If it has not been regularly fired up, and just sitting all this time, I agree with Mr. Hoop. I would be real concerned about the need for new rings, and getting the jugs honed. Rings sitting in the same place in the jugs for what appears to be potentially years, is definitely not a good thing. If it has been getting regularly fired up, that should not be a problem. You will only have his word on that one.

That sure is a nice configuration. Price is just a bit steep for one, if it has not been kept up to snuff.

Enjoy,
rich P

Special tech for honing these cylinders and if going that far you may as well replace the cylinder studs just because:s

Also, isn't there a cam tensioner issue? From what I've read here, it is something that needs to be replaced for piece of mind.
If the mileage is real, that is one thing I would not worry about for many thousands of miles. From my sampling everywhere I can find, the average recommendation is to start looking at them at around 20K. I have heard of some wearing out sooner, but it appears to be quite rare.

Enjoy,
Rich P

August 10, 2010
Motorcycle/ATVs
Model: FLHRCI ROAD KING CLASSIC (**)
Piston Displacement (CCs): 1450
Stroke: 4
Cylinders: 2

Speeds: 5
Dry Weight: 710
PRICING
Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price
$9,255 $10,515
Options
Engine Guards (Chrome) $55 $58
Fairing-Windshield Only $70 $80
Saddle Bags (Pair) $255 $273
TOTAL PRICE $9,635 $10,926

Suggested List: $18,310

2010 NADA pricing guide
No additional pricing for anniversary edition so I chose classic as a base line. Not sure how much more value in anniversary edition.
There is alot of good advice here but ultimately its your decision. Good luck.

Out of everything that is being said in this thread the above quote from Ole Dawg is also very true for me as well.

Low mileage brings many questions to my mind.

That also make sense. Even with more miles, it's probably better with extras added and well taken care of while riding. This one seems like it's all stock with only 1K service.

3 years ago I purchased a 99 RKC with 1400 miles on it. The mileage was correct, it had 2000 plates on it and haden't been registered since. I replaced the tires just due to age and changed the fluides and lubricated everything good and it has worked out very well. Good luck with yours, it sounds nice!

Yah, all good points. I am glad I asked here. It may make more sense for those who can do the work themselves. I became interested in 100th anniversary RKs and would have used it for occasional long rides since I have Fatboy for others and admire at its beauty daily. It may end of costing more than getting a new RK at the end.

Also, isn't there a cam tensioner issue? From what I've read here, it is something that needs to be replaced for piece of mind.

Yes the cam shoes are a problem along with the lower volume (smaller gearoters) oil pump.. Needed to be addressed LATER around 15,18,000 miles and checked then will do..
But not to worry at 1000 miles...

I would look to offer him Less $$ (10,500 MAX)
but did you say it is Just sitting OR did it "run"? When "Last Run"? I would think it to be a jewel if 1,000 is correct and NO RUST and above questions answer "YES"....

signed....BUBBIE

Yes the cam shoes are a problem along with the lower volume (smaller gearoters) oil pump.. Needed to be addressed LATER around 15,18,000 miles and checked then will do..
But not to worry at 1000 miles...

I would look to offer him Less $$ (10,500 MAX)
but did you say it is Just sitting OR did it "run"? When "Last Run"? I would think it to be a jewel if 1,000 is correct and NO RUST and above questions answer "YES"....

signed....BUBBIE

I plan to take a look this weekend and hopely get more details why so low mileage. Definitely all stock and also 1K service was probably done while back. If the bike starts up right away, that's a good sign, no? I am interested because it's 100 anniversary and silve/black combo.

If the bike starts up right away, that's a good sign, no? .

If it's been started every 3-4 months over the past 7 years that would be great. But if this is the 1st time it has been cranked in 7 years, don't just hit the key and see if it will start. But I am sure you already know that.

Back