free website stats program 2003 Road King Classic with about 1K miles | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Road King Classic with about 1K miles

hdrocks

Appreciate your opiniouns please. I saw a RKC 100 anniversary (silver/black)on sale. It's pretty much stock with only 1K miles. I have not seen the bike yet, but what should I look out for with low miles. Seems like the owner only did the 1K service (not sure when). Seems like a new bike but it is a 2003 model afterall.

I would think that the tires will need replacement, due to aging not wear. Also, I would expect an engine, primary, or transmission seal or two to need replacement. You will definitely need a new battery.

Throttle and clutch cable lubrication has likely dried and will need renewal.

I highly recommend a complete 10K service, regardless of mileage on teh odometer, so you get off on a good footing.

I would expect an issue or two to surface for the first few thousand miles, then all should level off when such are addressed.

Very nice find. Good luck.

Enjoy,
Rich P

My big concern would be if the mileage was kicked back.

Where the bike was stored would mean a lot. Dampness and exposure to UV light is important. Condensation and pitting on cylinder walls and caliper piston bores/ master cylinder/ & the inside of the tank is always possible. Varnish in the fuel system is always a concern especially if the engine is injected. Even though it only has 1K miles on it, I would expect to spend some money.

It should have the original tires on it with DOT date codes from 2002. Check them. The brake rotors should show No signs of wear. Check them. Pivot points for all levers should have zero play (like new). Check them. The ECM's don't record mileage so look for wear spots..

Even if the mileage is honest,, Are You planning on doing all the work yourself or are you planning on paying s dealership or indy?

All good advices. I'd expect to replace tires and a battery. What I am afraid of are the ones that can not be visually inspected. I am hoping that it was garaged and kept on a tender at least. No, I will not be able to do the work and plan to take it to a dealer for a full service. Obviously, I would have to factor these costs into an offer (owner is asking 13K). What do you think all these will cost initially?

Only 1,000 miles? That's not even broke in yet. See if he has any paperwork from the past service. Ask him where he stored it and look at the floor/ground. Look for damp spots that might indicate a leak. Sounds like a nice find. Good luck.

I tell you, that is a tuff call. It could be a diamond in the rough or a purchase you wish you never made.

Remember,,, your going to pay for labor at an ~$80 per hour rate for EVERYTHING that needs to be done, and the finished product will still be 7 years old without a warranty,, That is a BIG BIG difference than you doing the work yourself at just the cost of parts.

Ask if you can have it inspected by an Indy at your cost. Take it in for an inspection to the place where the bike will be serviced IF YOU BUY IT. So you spend $75 for a pro to look it over. It may save you a bundle down the road.

Yes it has low mileage, but Father Time takes a toll on everything. Even in storage.

Main question would be doe's it start? That will tell you right there if it has been started once in A while or not.For me I would'nt put that kind of money out if it does'nt start!!

I tell you, that is a tuff call. It could be a diamond in the rough or a purchase you wish you never made.

Remember,,, your going to pay for labor at an ~$80 per hour rate for EVERYTHING that needs to be done, and the finished product will still be 7 years old without a warranty,, That is a BIG BIG difference than you doing the work yourself at just the cost of parts.

Ask if you can have it inspected by an Indy at your cost. Take it in for an inspection to the place where the bike will be serviced IF YOU BUY IT. So you spend $75 for a pro to look it over. It may save you a bundle down the road.

Yes it has low mileage, but Father Time takes a toll on everything. Even in storage.

This is about the best advice I have seen:s

My buddy sold his 2004 RKC last year he had $4,200 worth of extras on it, 3600 mi. and was "PRISTINE" he had a very tough time selling it for $12,500.:(
in SE PA..............The area you live in has a role in determining price,but for me I think that it'll cost you minimally $15,000 in the end if your lucky.I would perfer a bike with some mi. that had been ridden & well maintained.

Just my take on it!:s

Yah, all good points. I am glad I asked here. It may make more sense for those who can do the work themselves. I became interested in 100th anniversary RKs and would have used it for occasional long rides since I have Fatboy for others and admire at its beauty daily. It may end of costing more than getting a new RK at the end.

Also, isn't there a cam tensioner issue? From what I've read here, it is something that needs to be replaced for piece of mind.

Back