free website stats program 2003 Road Glide Headlight Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Road Glide Headlight Problem

bootcampsam

Here's my problem. Headlights work fine for about 1-2 hours but then they go out completely. Have took off upper fairing and checked all connections, changed 15 amp fuse and inspected the wiring and there were no naked or rubbed wires. After a while of sitting the lights will work again as if nothing is wrong but I can't ride at night because of this. The headlights are the only thing affected and all other lights work as normal.
Did notice that the 40 amp main circuit breaker doesn't look too good and I'm planning on changing it to the 50 amp. The ground wires probably could use some cleaning also.
Could it be the main breaker causing the problem?
Anyone else had this problem?

Good luck using the 50 amp breaker, you might figure out the problem after you let the smoke out.
You should never go above what ever the proper breaker or fuse a circuit is called for.
I have done hrs of wire repair and lots have been done do to using a higher rated breaker or fuse.
The rateing has alot to do with wire size and system load. Your 40 amp breaker may be bad, replace it with the size called for on that circuit. Pull any fuse related to head lights, put a new 1 in. Again same size. Check and clean grounds and connectors. Some thing may be getting hot and putting it into an open circuit.
Would be nice to be able to check for power at the lamp affected to see if there is power or ground loss when the lights stop working.

That 40 amp breaker is a 40 amp breaker for a reason. Do not replace it with a 50 amp. I have been doing electrical work for 32 years and trust me when I say you don't want to do that. youI could say more but I would only be repeating what has already been said even more than I already have.

I had the same identical problem with my Springer after I added passing lamps. You have some sort of an overload problem. It's your breaker that is tripping, fuses don't come back to life but a breaker will.

I had the same identical problem with my Springer after I added passing lamps. You have some sort of an overload problem. It's your breaker that is tripping, fuses don't come back to life but a breaker will.

But on this same note, upsizing to a 10 amp higher rated breaker is NOT the answer UNLESS your wiring is heavy enough to handle the extra amp load. More times than not that will lead to burned wiring or electrical fire.

If the main breaker is in fact tripping there will be more not working than just the headlights......

Have you checked the connection where the bulb plugs in? Corrosion, loose connection? Check for voltage there when the headlight goes out and won't work using a Volt Meter on DC selection and voltage range one range above 12vdc. Or you can use an automotive test light. Sounds simple and it is, but it is often overlooked.

Of course he has a RoadGlide so he has TWO headlights. Sounds like heat is the factor....
If you have a wiring diagram for your ride, I would trace from the H4 headlight sockets back to see what there is along the way. It may give you some clues...

Back