free website stats program 2003 intermittent electrial power loss | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 intermittent electrial power loss

On my 1988 Electra Glide Classic, I would br riding it down the road and the bike would suddenly quit running, everything went off. Mine had a bad ignition switch and when I replaced it the problem left.

Went to the government website and found the following links

Recalls Summary

This might help, but I don't know if you're still covered.

I have an 02 Ultra Classic I am having the same trouble. I changed out the 40 amp breaker for a new one, no help, next I replaced the systems relay, no help. Cleaned battery cables, battery 9 mths old. This problem may happen once a week or twice a day

The first thing I would do is get rid of that self resetting 40 amp circuit breaker. Even if it tested good,, I would switch it out for a Bussman Maxi fuse. Those circuit breakers were OK in their day but today I would change it out for a Maxi fuse...
Got a recommended fuse holder for that Maxi-Fuse?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Cooper Bussmann (HHX=>Data Sheet #2129)
Thanks Hoop. I'll need to come up with some sort of terminal block to use with that in-line holder. I suppose I could use the existing circuit-breaker for that purpose, adding a bus-bar across it. I need the terminal block ability to hold a variety of ring lugs. I have several items connected to the output of the circuit breaker (security system, air horn, etc.). It's do-able.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Are you recommending splicing in a Maxi-Fuse holder? there are wires going to a copper post and to a silver post, I assume one is input and the other output? I just want to be clear since I am not much of an electrician.

What are the benefits of this set-up, why is the maxi-fuse a superior product or breaker to be specific?

Have you done this on your bike?

I just replaced the 40 amp main breaker due to electrical shutdowns. Seems to have worked for now, but if I can prevent future problems I am open to changes.

Back