free website stats program 2003 Heritage front end Bang | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Heritage front end Bang

Greggle

Hello, I've been reading the posts regarding front end clunking and they aren't clear to me because of the different kinds of front ends. I have re torqued the front end of my 2003 heritage with 1200 miles on it, to 70 lbs up from 35 lbs, but the bang is still there when I hit a bump. The nut on my bike is about 9/16" as I used a 3/4" socket to re-torque the bolt. I am fearful of torquing it to 100 lbs as one of the threads suggests. I am alittle fearful that I will overtighten the bolt and it will break when I am riding. I also noticed when I had the bike up on a jack yesterday that the front end doesn't fall away to either side. I have to push it to to both sides all the way. I am wondering if you know, will upping the torque to 100 lbs help or hurt the fall away and help or hurt the bang? Thanks, Gregg.

change your fork oil to a heaver grade, your forks may just be bottoming out and have nothing to do with the nut you are tightning! Return it to spec. you may even need stronger fork springs.

Ill try although it seem weird, the bike only had 800 miles on it when i got it a few months ago and its been banging since then. I now have 1200 miles and it only bangs when i hit a bump not when i apply the brake. Wonder with such low mileage if oil could be bad. Thanks.

Ill try although it seem weird, the bike only had 800 miles on it when i got it a few months ago and its been banging since then. I now have 1200 miles and it only bangs when i hit a bump not when i apply the brake. Wonder with such low mileage if oil could be bad. Thanks.

Better to change out the fluid and make sure you put in the amount called for. You may NOT have the right amount in there now.

Additionally, sound is funny on a bike. Are you sure it is the front end making that sound and not something like the jiffy stand bouncing against the bottom of the bike when you hit a bump?

On the neck nut, it sounds to me like you are too tight already. Check here:

Adjusting Fall Away (front end) - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Hey thank you. Yes i'm sure it's the front end. I thought origonally it could be the windshield but it still bangs without it. I looked at the service manual that I bought which (edit) because with almost everything it is vague. The manual says to be careful with the heritage and fatboy front ends because they are under spring pressure. Do you know if I can change the fluid without taking the springs out? and if I have to take the springs out do I need any special tools. The manual doesnt say how to take it apart it just says be careful of the spring pressure. Thanks.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with my 08 heritage, it started after 200 miles, I took it to the dealer and they re tork it. After another 200 miles, it started to do the same think, when I was hitting a bump or breaking, took it back to the dealer and they over tork it but I don't know how much more, anyway, it fix the problem for good, I had put 12000 miles since and no problem.

Changed the fork oil. That was the problem. Seems weird that the oil was bad with 800 miles. Thanks for the help.

It's not that it was bad, it was 5wt oil that is really too thin for the weight of the bike. There's a good possibility that there was a shortage in one or both of the forks too causing your banging. It's happened before from the factory. You probably didn't measure what came out either.

First of all,loosen up your neck nut,you shouldn't have to push your wheel to the stop,it should go by itself once you push it off center. Second; your banging might just be the shocks banging on the rebound,the springs are slamming the pistons down against the stops.Try Sceaming Eagle racing or SE heavy duty oil(whatever it is) in your shocks.

Back