2003 Heritage driveline vibration

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by nascar7613, Nov 23, 2013.

1. nascar7613

nascar7613 Active Member

2003 Heritage, 40K miles. Has vibration I can feel in the bars starting around 40 mph. The faster I go, the more noticeable it gets. If I pull in the clutch the vibration is gone, which leads me to believe it is something with the drivetrain. The mirrors vibrate where it is hard to see out of them. The engine is not rubber mounted so there is no mount I can change. Maybe loose compensator or clutch basket?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

How long was it since this vibration started, what was the last thing you did to the bike and how long have you owned it?

Softails have a rigid mount for the engine so if you recently picked this bike up, it may be normal.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  3. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

My softail is an evo one and is solid mounted and has vibration similar to yours mirrors blurry handlebars shaking etc
    Replacing the riser bushes helped a wee bit as did replacing the handle bar grips and foot pegs with ISO (isolator) ones but it is what it is and does vibrate it is part of my bike's character

Brian

4. jamesearl

jamesearl Senior Member Contributor

That was why I got rid of my Heritage.Like an idiot,I bought it based on how beautiful it looks.Never imagining the noises and vibrations it would make.Prior to that bike,I had an xl883 and an FXDC.So I guess I just figured the Heritage was similar,it ain't.It's still a nice bike,but hitting a strong head wind,and trying to maintain say 70-80 mph it would rattle my molars.Removing the windshield helps a lot.Now I'm back to rubber mounted with a Road King:D.

5. nascar7613

nascar7613 Active Member

This is a customers bike that he bought new. He started noticing the vibration the last couple weeks. Could be the risers I guess.

6. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

If this is a 2003 it is the 88ci engine. Isn't this the "B" engine, with counter balancers?

7. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Many possibilities. Could be the compensator, easy enough to check and eliminate. Could also be the trans mainshaft bearing or the inner prmary bearing. Could be the balancer sprocket has slipped on the shaft; the sprocket is an inteference press fit and they can/have slipped.

In any case, the vibration was not there before, is not normal and something has changed to cause it.

8. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

There is also 2 bearings on the balancer.
    tourbox

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

[​IMG] Here is a picture of the balancer

10. njmasterplumber

njmasterplumber Member

I'm on my 3rd Heritage and never experienced the issues you mention. Though the first thing I always do is remove the windshield. Thats the problem. But my bikes always road smooth even at the higher speeds