free website stats program 2003 Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary Ultra Classic

CorkyShark

I need advice…….I am looking at a 2003 Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary Ultra Classic at my local Harley dealer. There are 39,000 miles on it. This is a reputable dealer and they did replace parts as they saw fit. They are asking $12,500 and asked if I would like the Harley Davidson extended warranty. I did take it for a test drive and it feels great and seems like it runs very well. If I do purchase the bike should I get the extended warranty? They are giving me 30 day or 1000 mile warranty; whichever comes first. The extended warranty can be purchased for 1,2.3,4 or 5 years. Input please, much appreciated.

Well, cant really comment on the extended warranty, no experience with that, but what i can offer is that is the exact bike i have...LOVE IT!...has just over 40k on it, runs great...didnt buy it new either, but seems to have been well looked after!....and i paid just over 15 for mine....but a lot of extras thrown in.

Not sure if that helps or not, but I always wanted an 100th anniversary and finally got mine....no regrets!

Mike

I would ask them if the previous owner had the cam chain tensioners relaced. If not you are looking that $600 bill square in the face. Trust me I know. See if they will do the work prior to the purchase or take at least that much off price.

I have the classic model an love it . I would go with the 5 year cheap peace of mind if something major goes wrong. The only thing is check the fine print. Good luck:D

Just can't seem to justify an extended warranty. don't know the cost, but I bet you could fix a lot of stuff for the price. Just can't stand spending money on something that I may or maynot have to use, when I could be spending the money on some shinny stuff or some go fast stuff insted. jmho and Consumer Reports also.
remember what "tumma" said about the """fine print""

I would ask them if the previous owner had the cam chain tensioners relaced. If not you are looking that $600 bill square in the face. Trust me I know. See if they will do the work prior to the purchase or take at least that much off price.

Sound advice!

I have an 09 UC and purchased the extended warranty for when I am travelling away from home and cannot do the repairs myself. It is just a piece of mind thing while on the road.

I have a 04 RoadKing with similar mileage. If I were buying from a dealer, I would check these items out. These are the only problems I have had with my bike. All minor and common.

Cam Tensioners mentioned above. BY FAR MOST IMPORTANT at nearly 40K

I would check the shifter arm coming from the transmission, does it slide on the shaft. Get them to fix it before purchase.

Feel the front brake and clutch lever. If the front brake lever pulls very close to handle bars. Have them service/clean and the front calipers. Compare to a new bike on the floor. Or other bikes 07 and back.

Clutch Lever how does it pull compared to a new bike on the floor. If it pulls hard, have them service it.

How long since last service?

12.5 Seems like a fair price. Miles are a little on the high side. A lot of used bikes with low miles out there.

Also tire wear and brake pad wear. They are a dealer, so you would think both would be decent.

Exhaust Head Pipe right behind rear cylinder. Look for any cracking.

Good Luck

12.5 Seems like a fair price. Miles are a little on the high side. A lot of used bikes with low miles out there.

An 8 year old bike (remember, the 2011's are out now) with 39,000 miles - I was going to comment that the miles were actually on the LOW side! Less than 5k a year if my math is correct.

Back