free website stats program 2003 H-D Ultra Classic with Premium Oil Cooler issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 H-D Ultra Classic with Premium Oil Cooler issue

K&N filters meet all factory requirements and they have a nut formed into the end of the filter. A 3/4" socket on a 6" extension makes removal very easy. They are available through AutoZone. My local store keeps them in stock, but I don't believe that all stores do.

I've seen the filters with a nut welded on the end, that would end any problems if Harley would add that to their filters.

I could be reading the OP wrong but I don't think the OP has any problem removing the oil filter other than the apparent interference with the CPS. The question of using an aftermarket filter has been answered; use the OEM filter or an aftermarket with the same specifications, specifically the micron rating and the anti-drain back valve.

I would like to see some pictures to better understand how the CPS interferes with the filter removal.:D

I could be reading the OP wrong but I don't think the OP has any problem removing the oil filter other than the apparent interference with the CPS. The question of using an aftermarket filter has been answered; use the OEM filter or an aftermarket with the same specifications, specifically the micron rating and the anti-drain back valve.

I would like to see some pictures to better understand how the CPS interferes with the filter removal.:D

Maybe I misunderstood. I assumed the interference problem was that the CPS was preventing the use of a filter wrench.

Maybe I misunderstood. I assumed the interference problem was that the CPS was preventing the use of a filter wrench.

I think the OP could be clearer in his post. In my reading of the post it could be interpreted either way.

I think the OP could be clearer in his post. In my reading of the post it could be interpreted either way.

Hopefully the OP will return soon and clear this all up for us!

You could be right but I have never had to remove the CPS to use a filter wrench and don't see how that is even possible. I run that same oil cooler on my Deuce and have never had that problem. Some pictures would clear things up.:s

On my 05 RG there is not enough room for the regular filter wrench, the CPS gets in the way. The filter wrench I referenced makes it possible to remove the filter without damaging the CPS or the need to remove it. The after market filters with the nut on the end, as was said above, would solve the problem.

go to sears/k mart & buy their universal oil filter tool. its a 3 prong claw that uses a 3/8"long extension. best ive found.

hdoilfilterwrench.jpg

10.00 @ the dealer or even cheaper @ Harbour Freight tho you will have to grind out the window I have had NO problems with any of my filter wrenches, just make sure you do not nick the CPS

Regardless of what filter you choose to use, make sure it is rated to 5 microns. And change it at 2,500 - 3,000 miles depending on riding conditions. If you are trying to run your oil at higher change intervals (I strongly advise against this), then change your filter at half your oil change intervals.

Cheers,

TQ

Back