free website stats program 2003 FXDL Starter Problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 FXDL Starter Problems

One other thing that I should mention is that after I installed the new starter, I went to install the jackshaft bolt and saw that the pinion gear and spring had fallen out of the coupling. I inserted the spring back into the coupling and inserted the pinion gear into the coupling and then inserted the thrust washer, lockplate and jackshaft bolt. I am hoping that nothing could have fallen out that I did not see on the ground. My repair manual shows that there is a retaining ring between the spring and coupling in the parts diagram. I did not remove the retaining ring, so should the ring still be inside the coupling?

The reason I ask is because the assembly section of the starter jackshaft in the manual
says to:

2. Place spring inside coupling
3. Insatll pinion gear on shaft
4. Place lockplate and thrust washer on bolt and insert bolt.
5. Install retaining ring (if removed), on shaft.

I don't know where on the shaft this retaining ring would go and I do not actually see a retaining ring on the shaft. Is it inside the coupling?

One other thing that I should mention is that after I installed the new starter, I went to install the jackshaft bolt and saw that the pinion gear and spring had fallen out of the coupling. I inserted the spring back into the coupling and inserted the pinion gear into the coupling and then inserted the thrust washer, lockplate and jackshaft bolt. I am hoping that nothing could have fallen out that I did not see on the ground. My repair manual shows that there is a retaining ring between the spring and coupling in the parts diagram. I did not remove the retaining ring, so should the ring still be inside the coupling?

The reason I ask is because the assembly section of the starter jackshaft in the manual
says to:

2. Place spring inside coupling
3. Insatll pinion gear on shaft
4. Place lockplate and thrust washer on bolt and insert bolt.
5. Install retaining ring (if removed), on shaft.

I don't know where on the shaft this retaining ring would go and I do not actually see a retaining ring on the shaft. Is it inside the coupling?

2003 Harley-Davidson Softail Deuce FXSTD Parts, 2003 Harley-Davidson Softail Deuce FXSTD OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com
try here they have good schematics

The Harley manual has a note that after removing the starter that the jackshaft-to-starter shaft coupling will stay on the starter shaft. I am not sure what that means. After removing my starter the only thing I could see on the starter assembly was the starter shaft itself.

And then there is another note in the manual for installing the starter saying to be sure the jackshaft coupling engages the starter shaft. Again, I don't know what that means.

I am going through the same thing right now on my starter. Get a flashlight, look inside from the side you pulled the starter off. If the coupling didn't come off when the starter was pulled out, it will still be on the inside of the shaft that connects the starter to the jackshaft on the other side of the bike.
You can take a long screw driver and put it on the coupling and lift it from the inside/ starter motor side. Make a note or some way to keep this coupling facing the same direction when you put it back together.
There is a snapring inside of the coupling, it isn't dead center. You will have problems if you turn this around. Hope I made some sense, I should take some pics and show you, it's worth a thousand words, good luck.

Let me know what you find out, I have some pics I can send you if you need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back