free website stats program 2003 fatboy problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 fatboy problem

big john 1983

my 03 fatboy wont start all the time when it does it runs strong and will start every time for that day come back the next wont start just back fires and puffs back threw the air cleaner crank it till starter clicks put it back on charge can usually come back and try it and it will almost always start any ideas

I think I would start with the easy stuff first. Check the battery cables on both ends to make sure they are clean and tight.

I am inclined to think that perhaps the spark plug leads may need replacing

Brian

After cranking and it doesn't start, pull the plugs and see if there is fuel present on the plugs.

I had the same problem with my road king and it turned out to be the seal on the needle valve was all compressed and fouled up, was sticking here and there,sometimes it would work some times it would get stuck up in the fuel inlet and you could let it crank until the cows come home.then you let it set and the float will fill up and then it would release and start., (needle valve.)

There are alot of things it could be. That means you can guess and spent alot of money before you get it. I suggest that you begin a process of narrowing down the cause, which is what you must do when there are so many possibilities. I would start with finding out if the cause is fuel or spark. Too much fuel? Too little fuel? No spark? Spark, but at the wrong time? F.I. systems can also have a wrong time fuel component, but that usually coincides with wrong time for spark too.

What you describe seems to relate to a cold bike, rather than a hot one. What you describe seems to indicate that once she has warmed up, she is better. Firing back out the intake could be a clue. Sensors can be thermally sensitive. Coils can be thermally sensitive. Wires can be broken inside insulation, and insulation gets softer when warm, allowing their wires to connect or disconnect. The possibilities go on and on.

It could be so many things. Start with: is it fuel or spark? and work your way back from there. Maybe you have more symptoms. Nothing is insignificant. Does she cut out on bumps? Does she hesitate when you accelerate? Does she pop and sputter when taking off from stop? Whatever you see, or hear, or feel, or smell...

Also, 11.7v is considered a fully discharged battery. She may have some things work and some things not at that voltage.

My 2 cents.

Good luck,
Rich P

Back