free website stats program 2003 883 problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 883 problem

halfpint

What will cause my bike to shut down while riding? I have replaced the coil & it is still doing it. Today i started it and before I could get it out of the garage it died. I pulled a plug wire and put another plug in the wire and ck'ed if any spark and nothing. Need suggestions

if you dont have spark start chasing the problem back ....check if the coil is getting juice and if its the right amount than drop down to the regulator and so on

What will cause my bike to shut down while riding? I have replaced the coil & it is still doing it. Today i started it and before I could get it out of the garage it died. I pulled a plug wire and put another plug in the wire and ck'ed if any spark and nothing. Need suggestions

Do you have power to the coil, You need to check this first

When it stops running are the headlight and running lights still lit??
Does it crank properly, and when it will starts and stalls will it start right back up?
The spark plug test you are doing is new plug properly grounded?

Could be the Crank Position sensor. My 06 Sporty would cut out everytime I'd slow down. We tried many different things to no avail. A freind of mine said he heard of somebody else having the same issue. Changed the CPS and Whala. problem gone. We just went for it. I don't know how to test the CPS but you may want to try getting it tested before you buy 1 because most places will not let you return the part after you take it out of the store. Ask around somebody may be able to tell you the test procedure for it.

Please don't forget to check the simple things. I had a similar problem some years ago. The bike would shut down while riding. Turned out to be a loose connection on the +post on the battery. Since the connection "looked" good and "felt" tight I passed it off as not part of the problem. I nailed it when I actually took the battery out and really inspected it closely. A s/s star lock washer was the solution.

+1 on the simple things. Sometimes we over look the simple answer cause its so simple it cant be the right answer. :wall

Hello from Kansas

I ride a 03 883 and am having a bad time of trying to locate why my this thing dies while riding down the rode. I've replaced the coil, cleaned the carb, removed the tank & cleaned the screen, & ck'ed the wiring the best I could. The bike will die at irratic times. It will crank over right after it dies but will not start until it sets for awile, & the waiting time will very. I'm thinking it could be a circuit breaker or one of the many sensors that they thought they had to put on this thing.
Does anyone out there have the answer?

Re: Hello from Kansas

I ride a 03 883 and am having a bad time of trying to locate why my this thing dies while riding down the rode. I've replaced the coil, cleaned the carb, removed the tank & cleaned the screen, & ck'ed the wiring the best I could. The bike will die at irratic times. It will crank over right after it dies but will not start until it sets for awile, & the waiting time will very. I'm thinking it could be a circuit breaker or one of the many sensors that they thought they had to put on this thing.
Does anyone out there have the answer?

Sure could be electrical issue have you checked it for codes yet? I would take a look at the ignition pick up assembly first for pinched wires. Did you buy this bike new? Has any thing electrical been changed? More info will help

Back