free website stats program 2002 XL Questions ??????????? | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 XL Questions ???????????

First time harley owner (finally). A few questions. Drag pipes, I love them, but
have heard a lot of bad things about them. I got a set (spare) with my bike. I want to install them but. Do i need baffles for back pressure? Will I have to rejet the carb? Will the neighbors want to kill me? Next. Putting on saddle bags for riding to camp. Does the rear turn signal relocation kit only move the turn signals about 1" back? Are the turn signals wires plug in near the brake light? I couldn't get them off without cutting the wires and didn't want to do that. Next question. Lighting. I want to ride to work in the morning (5:30 am) but want more light up front. (I have had mutiple meetings (7) in my car with deer). Will my alternator support 2 driving lights and can they be hooked up to come on with my high beams? Well I'll ask more later. Thanks upfront for your help
Animal

Welcome Animal15340, you will find plenty of help here on in the maintenance section. Sportster Models - Harley Davidson Community

1) Drag pipes that are straight and unbaffled can actually hurt performance as virtually no backpressure lowers the torque and lowers the state of tune of the motorcycle without subsequent enrichening of the fuel and completing the Stage 1 process. Also, the crossover associated with these models helps to equalize and tune the exhaust "scavenging" wave. Find baffels, they can be had from $15 to $100 a pair and prevent harmful vibrations that could crack mountings and keep your neighbors friendly. Only problem is you are buying sight "unheard".

2) Saddlebags, if riding solo why not try a ballistic nylon tail/seat pack, they hook on to the seat/grab rail/signals, are water resistant, hold a lot of stuff and do not affect the look of your bike or require mods to start.

3) Lighting, try the slightly higher wattage headlamp replacement Osram bulb if you have the non-sealed beam type to start for $20, along with the $60 for a real HD service manual, best money you'll ever spend, as recommended by our elustrious Glider elsewhere in the maintenance section...use our search tab and type Osram bulb for website and manual is at the HD dealer with the free Accessory "candy-store" book.
Happy hunting....

Thanks NEWHD74FAN for that info. I'm going to order the baffels. Will I have
to re jet the carb? I also already have the saddlebags and the relocation kit. I'm going to try and move them this weekend. I guess I'll give up the 60 bucks and get the HD service manual, then I won't have to ask so many question.
Thanks Again
Animal

Thanks NEWHD74FAN for that info. I'm going to order the baffels. Will I have
to re jet the carb? I also already have the saddlebags and the relocation kit. I'm going to try and move them this weekend. I guess I'll give up the 60 bucks and get the HD service manual, then I won't have to ask so many question.
Thanks Again
Animal

I gotta '91 Dyna that I put straight drags on (Run Roaders I think - like these but straight cut Chrome Run Roader Drag Pipes for 1984-1999 Harley FXST Softail Evolution 1340: 30-3167 Aftermarket Harley Davidson ® Motorcycle and Custom Parts and Accessories - Debrix Cycles - www.debrix.com). I put some anti-reversion cones in at the heads. See here: Harley Exhaust Comparison

Mine are LOUD. So if the neighbors are gonna get fussy, there ya go!

I rejetted my carb. I have a standard Keihin CV40. I think I ended up with a 46 and a 185 with a YOST power tube. Will check on that when I work on the little bike shortly! See here:

Harley Carburetor Jetting

and here:

Harley Davidson Carburetor Performance Tuning

With respect to a brighter headlight, Glider has a great suggestion for a better bulb. See here:

Brighter Headlights - Harley Davidson Community

Other questions, see what Hobbit says.

TQ

Thanks Hobbit, Is the jet change something I can do or should I leave that to a harley tech? I'm a machine tech at work, but don't work on engines or carbs.
Should I use the baffels?

Thanks Again

Animal

Oh yeah, they are straight pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you use the hd turnsignal relocation kit it does only move them back to the end of the fender rail you do not have to cut the wires as there is enough free cable to allow the kit to be used you may have to put hand up under fender and pull open the cable retainers to get enough freeplay
the kit is designed to cover the cable run from origional position to new posn as the cable is outside the fender rail but coverd by new cover this is a fairly simple task and has a complete set of instructions in the kit and does include everything you need
the wires plug into the main loom under the seat between the battery and oil tank
it is possible to move the turn signals to mount by the number plate but requires a whole different approach all depends on the size of the bags you are fitting
Brian

Thanks Brian

I got the relocation kit, but it didn't have any instructions. Do you know if
i will have a problem because of my sissy bar braces or does that extension go over that too?
thanks again.

Animal

Use an hand impact wrench with strong bits that fit the fasteners snug. Usually the bits fit nicely and the diameter of the impact tool handle will give you sufficient leverage that you shouldn't need to use hammer "assist." If it looks like Red Loctite has been used, move any leather and plastic bits and accessories away and preheat fastener threads with a heat gun...the locktite softens when heated, and you should be able to remove without drama, otherwise you may damage the fasteners, and will need a set of EZ outs, don't ask...!

Back