free website stats program 2002 Sportster XL1200c new V & H Straightshots exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Sportster XL1200c new V & H Straightshots exhaust

drs55128

Hi all. I am new here at the forum and I would like to pick your brains if you don't mind. My wife has a 2002 Sportster 1200 with forward controls and we just got the Vance & Hines Straight Shots exhaust system. I first need to get new exhaust gaskets before I start anything.
Is there any advise that you could provide me before I start taking the old system off and put the new system on? I appreciate any and all info you can give me.
Thanks,
Dave

I can't give you specifics on the Sporster but use a penatrant on the nuts and let is soak overnight if possible. Make sure you tighten the nuts down evenly and use the correct torque values. When your done before you crank her up wipe the pipes clean of any and all fingerprints and oils.

Welcome to The Forum, as Don said torque the nuts evenly to 10 ft lbs, hang the exhaust on loose, tighten from front to back, wipe down exhaust with Windex, pledge or chrome polish before starting to eliminate any oils transferred to the new pies

I want to thank you for your advise. I was able to remove the old exhaust and install the new without much trouble. I have a Clymer manual and used the directions to remove the old and used the V & H instructions on putting on the new. Jack, thank you for the torque on the exhaust flange nuts as I would have probably over tighten them. Once I cleaned the new exhaust, I started it and NOW it sounds like a Real Harley. Maybe a little louder than I expected, but is pretty much the sound that we wanted.
Ride safe,
Dave

Back