free website stats program 2002 Softail Not doing anything | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Softail Not doing anything

btbmg1

Not long ago, I turned off my bike by the "Start" button on the handlebar, but left the switch on the gas tank in the "Ignition" position, thus leaving my bike "ON". Three hours later I came back and felt stupid, but figured I could use jumper cables to get me started. After charging my bike for at least 30 minutes, I still got nothing, not even an attempt to turn over. I was able to pop the clutch and get it started and rode it home. After doing that, I figured that was good enough to have gotten my charge up, so I turned my bike off and tried to restart it. I got nothing. I replaced the battery thinking that it was drained too much, but I am still in the same place I was that hot afternoon. Basically, I place my switch to the "Ignition" position and click the "RUN" switch and then when I press the "START" switch I get nothing. No sound, nothing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might have done by leaving my bike on for 3 hours? I also checked my fuses and they are all still intact. Any information is greatly appreciated.

If you have a good battery and have checked ALL the fuses and they are good as well I would start by removing both ends of both of the battery cables, clean them and reinstall using dieletric grease on the connections.

Part of your statement has me confused and concerned, "figured I could use jumper cables to get me started. After charging my bike for at least 30 minutes, I still got nothing'".

What exactly were you hooked to with the jumper cables and is that how you charged the bike for 30 minutes?

I'll clean the battery connectors. I had jumper cables from a buddies truck hooked up to my battery for 30 minutes. After popping the clutch and getting it home and not being able to restart it, I hooked it up to my battery charger and when it was green took it off and am still unable to get anything. As for the fuses, the only place I know where there are fuses is just behind the battery. I don't know if there are any more fuses throughout the bike. I do not have a security system or fob.

I suspect you may have a problem with the starter relay or wiring to the starter. You can jump the small wire on the solenoid wuth the green wire on it to see if it cranks to verify the starter and solenoid but make sure it's in neutral first.

After that It's just a matter of testing the system with a meter.

Harley Davidson Community

Scroll down a bit on this link...

Harley Davidson Community

Try to short across the solenoid, be sure you are in neutral, if you have no spark or the starter does not engage you have a shorted solenoid and or burned up starter

I'll clean the battery connectors. I had jumper cables from a buddies truck hooked up to my battery for 30 minutes. After popping the clutch and getting it home and not being able to restart it, I hooked it up to my battery charger and when it was green took it off and am still unable to get anything. As for the fuses, the only place I know where there are fuses is just behind the battery. I don't know if there are any more fuses throughout the bike. I do not have a security system or fob.

Hopefully your buddies truck was not running while it was hooked up to your bike as this could possibly have caused some damage. Are you getting nothing from the starter/solenoid or are you getting nothing at all from the lights, dash, etc. when the key is on? One more question about the charger used. Was this a true battery charger or a battery tender?

===============================================

I totally missed the part where you actually got the bike running by popping the clutch. Please disregard my last post as it is of little value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back