free website stats program 2002 roadking frame/motor clearence | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 roadking frame/motor clearence

Glad to hear you found your problem, I think anyone that works on machines of any kind has experienced mistakes like that, the good thing is i'ts usually the last time we make that mistake.

I want to thank you for your post. I'm sure there are those of us that have made mistakes. Thanks again.
WAP.gif

Thanks for coming back and giving this problem closure!

I often find myself staring at a bunch of widgets and wondering how they were arranged BEFORE I took them apart. I'm slowly learning to draw a detailed diagram or take a digital photo to refer back to later.

As the Doc said I draw a lot of sketches but I take a lot of pictures and use the factory drawings and manual also.
WAP.gif

Hey everyone, was away for work so I wasn't able to play with bike for awhile. Came home motivated to fix problem and with some clear thinking found the source of my trouble. First I would like to thank everyone for their input and time. Second I would like to say I thought about not saying what I did wrong, but decided to man up and hope this stupid mistake will help others. As stated in first post I am new to touring bikes so when I took apart the motor mount and plates for cleaning I did not reinstall for a week or so. When I put everthing back I put the motor mount to engine plate on top of the mounting tabs, not underneath where it belongs. So I caused all my own problems by not looking carefully when I disassembled. You will never know how painfull it was to admit this but I owed it to everyone who put the time in to help. OK...let it rip!

No ripping from me! We have all caused ourselves problems, and will continue. You are not the first and you won't be the last!! Thanks for sharing your experience, and glad your back on the road.

This is a non issue IMO you went back to the last thing you did and solved your problem, this is a good thing and a very good approach :s

OH Yeah. We have all done it. I learned that as I've gotten older my memory just keeps getting worse. When I stripped the bike and then Engine down to the last nut and bolt , I put each group of parts into large freezer zip close bags. They are cheap and you can write on them with felt pen and then put in boxes in the order they come off. No mess, no missing parts, everything is in order and the whole box of bags was less then a quart of harley oil from the dealer. You were right about one thing. A man isn't afraid to admit he made a mistake so others can learn from it. Thanks for the tip.
Signed - Bum

Back