free website stats program 2002 Road King misses | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Road King misses

Tmckay

My 2002 FLHRI (EFI) has recently started to miss while cruising down the street. I can feel & can hear the miss via the pipes. I don't have a sense of any kind of surge when the miss is going to happen. It's the kind of miss that happens while you're cruising. It seems to happen more in hot weather & when the bike is hot. The miss ONLY happens when cruising at a constant speed and with a constant steady throttle. Nothing has changed other than adding Bubs slip-ons, power commander & air cleaner kit. I'm also getting a lot more popping out the mufflers since adding the Bubs, but I can't imaging they are causing this problem. I've also noticed in the past that on occasion the engine will cut out entirely when performing a very slow speed turn. I'll decelerate, enter the turn (left or right), and when I begin to roll on the throttle, it will die and then catch itself. I've changed the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, checked for intake leak & checked fuel pressure and still experience the miss. Gas mileage is not affected. I've made sure to use good, high-grade gasoline (clear), and have recently added a bit of Sea Foam. Any ideas?

My next option was to change the engine temperature sensor.

Nothing has changed... other than adding Bubs slip-ons, power commander & air cleaner kit. I'm also getting a lot more popping out the mufflers since adding the Bubs, but I can't imaging they are causing this problem. I've also noticed in the past that on occasion the engine will cut out entirely when performing a very slow speed turn. I'll decelerate, enter the turn (left or right), and when I begin to roll on the throttle, it will die and then catch itself. I've changed the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, checked for intake leak & checked fuel pressure and still experience the miss. Gas mileage is not affected. I've made sure to use good, high-grade gasoline (clear), and have recently added a bit of Sea Foam. Any ideas?

I'd hate to see your version of something that HAS changed... :newsmile071:
Check for corrosion on the injector connectors. A unplug & plug with maybe a little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt and see if it still does it.

Ha!!! Tell me about it. I've been chasing this problem for a while now. I will give that a shot since the Engine Temp Sensor didn't cure the problem.

I'm a bit confused. Did you have this problem before or after the slip ons.,Power Com.,& air cleaner change. If it was after I would ck. your download for the Power Comm.
tourbox

I suggest that you carefully check the continuity of the injector wires, particularly right at, or near, the injectors. Your engine vibrates more at low rpm, and shifts position when you accelerate, especially at slow speeds. These engine motions can reveal an injector wire that is broken inside the insulation, or a bad crimp in the injector connector. Hotter engines mean hotter insulation, and more flexibility, also revealing the problem.

This stuff does not generally throw a code until it gets real bad. If you get a code, be thankful. It will tell you which injector is at fault.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I suggest that you carefully check the continuity of the injector wires, particularly right at, or near, the injectors. Your engine vibrates more at low rpm, and shifts position when you accelerate, especially at slow speeds. These engine motions can reveal an injector wire that is broken inside the insulation, or a bad crimp in the injector connector. Hotter engines mean hotter insulation, and more flexibility, also revealing the problem.

This stuff does not generally throw a code until it gets real bad. If you get a code, be thankful. It will tell you which injector is at fault.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thank you! This is my next option.

I'm a bit confused. Did you have this problem before or after the slip ons.,Power Com.,& air cleaner change. If it was after I would ck. your download for the Power Comm.
tourbox

Thank you! I think that might have cured it "knock on wood". I re-mapped it & it seems to be cured.

Glad you got it,and hope it stays fixed. You said you disconnected the Power Comm. but still had the same basic problem. If you hadn't done a ECM download for your changes that may have been your problem after the disconnect. Ecm thought you were stock.
tourbox

I had a similar problem. Felt like not getting fuel,sputtering and breaking up.The problem was the wires on the front fuel injector were breaking. Repaired the wires and the bike is fixed. Good luck.

Back