free website stats program 2002 Road King Classic codes? | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Road King Classic codes?

Freeze22

Can't get any codes? Bike misfires, a lot some times. Check engine came on few times. I know i have a code: when i turn the ignition to ON, check eng. light comes on 4 seconds, then OFF, then ON for about 8 seconds.
I tried 4 methods so far: Ignition key on-off-on-off-on then a sequence of turn signal pushes. > nothing there. Tried to jump terminal 1 & 2 on data link, then turn to ON > nothing. Tried ON 3 seconds, OFF 3 sec, ON 3 sec, OFF 3 sec then ON. > nothing. Tried holding reset button and turning ignition to ON, I got "d01CLr", "d02CLr", up to 10, then PPU 82883.
I think I need a beer.
:bigsmiley15:

Is the bike FI or carb. Were ALL codes from 1 to 10 "Clr". None showed a "Set". Does your bike have a TSM (no factory security) or a TSSM (factory security). Is the bike electrically factory stock meaning there are no black boxes between the wiring harness and the factory ECM (if your EFI).

Hi Hoople, Bike is Fuel Injected, all 10 codes are "Clr", no factory security or after market, electrically stock. Must add that I had the bike by the beach for couple months. My next step was to check all electrical connections, including the one hooked-up to the entabulator button!

Freeze,,It is strange that you could not pull codes using the jumper wire. Check the diagnostic plug wires for the correct colors => Pin 1 is Lt Green/red,, Pin 2 is Black,, Pin 3 is light Green/Violet and pin 4 should be Gray. Follow these attached instructions for pulling codes on a 2002 FI bagger.. Try it with the run/kill switch in the RUN position.
See if step 2C of instructions will complete while using the jumper. (4 seconds ON with 4 seconds OFF then 8 seconds ON)

Attachment PDF#2 is the wiring diagram that shows the Data connector. ECM Pin 2 (check engine light driver) goes to is Pin 1 of connector 8B. Pin 1 of 8A goes directly to the speedo. I would inspect connector 8A/8B. Clean & lube that connector. It is under the right side cover. Maybe also inspect the ECM connector itself. While apart, also check continuity between ECM connector pin 1 to pin 1 of the data connector. That single wire starts the entire process of telling the ECM to stream codes to the speedo.

Attachments

• Codes_2002.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 2002_codes#2.pdf
    53.8 KB · Views: 62
Hoople, sorry for the late response, been working 12-14 hours lately. I'll work on it this weekend and let you know. At the mean time, I really appreciate your help. Thanks. and I'll keep you posted.

If you can't get the ECM to start streaming codes, maybe try a different sequence.

Put the pigtail jumper in place with Run/Kill switch to Kill position. Turn on ignition first, then flip kill switch to the Run position.
If that doesn't do it, try putting the jumper in place with Run/Kill in RUN position, then turn ignition key to ON.

I don't have an early dated bike to know for sure, but the instruction for the ECM to code stream must have something to do with the way the firmware instruction set is written, so try different ways.

Well nothing works so far. I'll check all the wiring & connectors, ohm them, clean and lube. I may get lucky.
I have been following this thread and while my bike is a 2000 so I know there is the chance that upgrades by 2002 may void this thought. But I can't pull historical codes (signified by the CK E Light on for 8 seconds) manually. You can use the scanilizer. Also this 8 second light is for what the manual calls a functional error...to do with codes 52 thru 55 (ECM Ram and Rom errors) & the Cam and Crank sensors= #56.
What does your manual say?

Back