2002 Lowrider purshase

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by mo1200, Mar 20, 2009.

1. mo1200

mo1200 Account Removed

Maybe you all can help me make a decision. I was just offered to buy a 2002 Lowrider. It has 21000 miles on it and is in good shape, paint, crome, seat, tires etc. The enging is sound, no leaks that I can see either under it or up under it. It starts and runs good. Now the dealer is asking 8000.00 for it. Does this sound like a good price? Should I invest in some warranty for it. Should I shy away from it and wait for a newer bike or maybe go for a new Sportster 1200C? I ride to work, and a little play on the weekends, mostly me, sometimes momma to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jonny oz

jonny oz Member

That price sounds reasonable for a bike in good condition. I would go for it. 2002 twin cams are good engines, I can't remember for sure but i think they still have the timkens on the crank? Also I think 02 was still in the years when the pinion runout isn't as much of an issue as the newer ones.
    As far as comparing to a sportster, I think you'd be happier with the dyna - I say this because if you like the dyna now, you'll probably still want one after buying a sporty.

3. 01dynaglide

01dynaglide Junior Member

I think that is a fair price for it. I think you will really enjoy it.

4. rhino

rhino Banned

ive got a 02 the 88s are good engines, alot of the 02 were still carburated. if that matters to you, i just prefer a carb.

5. nolafishr

nolafishr Active Member

I would Shop around and see what else is out there, there are some good deals to be had, I just picked up a 99 Lowrider with 1060 miles on it when I got it, Paid $7800.00 for the Bike and it is still like New. It is the 88TC Engine and Carbureted, Runs like a Champ!

6. KingHeritage

KingHeritage Junior Member

The retail value for that bike in the kelly blue book is$10625.00 so at $8000.00 it sounds like a good deal.Moving up to a big twin is always a good idea.Your wife and you would be a lot more comfortable on it.I would go for it!!

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

I agree it sounds like a good deal at $2600 below retail price. Check it over carefully and ask to see service records. Much more bike for the money than the sporty.

8. C. Dolan

C. Dolan Member

Shameless plug for a 1999 FXD Twim Cam, 2600 miles, $ 8000 :D

Makes 110 to 115 RWHP with turbo.

Has PM wheels, Inverted front end with real brakes, 180 backtire.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  9. lowrider103

lowrider103 Member

I think its a great deal I would go for it.

10. hogsteeth

hogsteeth Member

I would ask the dealer to remove the cam chest cover so you could inspect the cam chain tensioner pads. Should only take them a half hour or so, unless they have to remove pipes. Some of the chains around that time were not polished properly and the pads could be worn. I checked my '03 at 80k miles and they still looked fresh, but some have grenaded with many fewer miles. Sounds like a good deal to me. Good luck.
    Respects,
    Bob