free website stats program 2002 EG FLH | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 EG FLH

AJones 1965

I have a 02 Electra glide carbureted. When its warmed up to running temp, it idles fine for a couple of minutes, the idle drops to around 500 rpms for a minute or until the engine dies. I change the CV to an Hsr 42 trying to stop this, but it seems to do it more often now. The bike has S&S 509 cams, quickie pushrods, 6200 rpm Screamin eagle ignition. It runs great down the road, and doesn't do it at every stoplight, but about every third time you stop it's gonna drop down and cut off. It acts like the timing suddenly retards. Could the MAP sensor be causing this? I have a friend with a 02 softail, Bone stock except for pipes, that does the same exact thing as mine. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have checked for intake seals leaking and everything is fine there.

This might not be any help, but I had a Toyota Camry doing this. Turns out the battery put out enough to run the starter, but couldnt put out enough to run the engine.
Good luck. Let us know if you figure it out.

The MAP sensor definitely comes into play during idle. Cant say for sure that is your problem but if you think its a timing issue, the MAP may cause this as the ignition is advanced and retarded via signal from the MAP. Not an expensive part to try. Be sure to get a new rubber seal with the MAP because this is a good source for a manifold leak.

Fuel filter was just cleaned. I really think its the MAP sensor, bought one this evening, plan on installing it tomorrow. Will post results.

Installed MAP sensor. Still doing it, but not near as often. I know the ignition module has set parameters, but is it possible that it may adjust itself a small amount after riding 20 miles or so? When it dropped anywhere under 800 rpms the tach would quit like you shut it off, now the tach keeps working right down till it cuts off.

a little advice, buy your MAP sensor from Amazon. I just paid 70 bucks for a Drag specialties one. They are $8.00 on amazon for the same GM part number as on my HD one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't checked today BUT when I bought one a while back... I did pay the higher price as the CHEAP One Was Used Not new...

I wonder if the GM has the same Mounting? Saw some that were Said to be the same Number, but the flange bolt mounting was in a different location...

Your Idle Jet may have something to do with that Drop... Where do you have it set OR is it still Capped and Not set to your motor Now?

Just My experience here...

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
these were brand new on amazon, same mounting same GM part number. I have a HSR 42, set at about 2 1/8 turns. Thanks for the input though.

Do you still have the original petcock? If so it may be the diaphragm needs to be replaced. It could also be that the vent for the gas tank has an obstruction, when it starts to die have you tried taking the gas cap off?

Have you checked for intake leaks? Carefully spray some WD40 or the like around where the intake meets the heads while warm and idling. Taking care not to spray so the carb picks it up. If the idle suddenly changes, you need to check those intake seals....

Back