free website stats program 2001 XLH1200 Speedo odometer issues | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 XLH1200 Speedo odometer issues

Sammy1

Hi All,

New to this forum. I have a 2001 Sportster I bought used, in very good condition. The speedometer is not back lit and is stuck at zero. The odometer is on but not increasing, stuck at 12,131 miles. It was working fine and was good until yesterday. I am thinking a fuse may be bad, but why would the odometer be on just not increasing? Amy Ideas?

Try cleaning the speed sensor. The sensor is prone to attracting metal shavings. You can read up on it in the self help section. Welcome to HDT.

Last edited:
I checked the fuses and all seemed fine there, I will try the speed sensor, where is it on my bike?

On the transmission, check the self help section of the forum for your model.

*Speed Sensor Pickup Problem Symptoms

Before you go any further, check to see if your bike has a cable drive speedometer that drives off the front wheel. Many have posted questions and not said if they have cable drive or electronic speedometers that drive off magnetic impulse from the transmissions.

If your speedometer stops registering speed and your odometer does not move as far as registering miles traveled, you also realize that your directional signals do not self cancel, your engine could be running differently and stalling, your problem is more than likely the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission. It collects metal particles that are from the wear in the transmission being that it is a magnetic pickup that reads off the 4 th gear cog in the transmission. You can clean it off then replace it, but most times it will go bad again real soon. The best thing to do is replace it. I believe the cost is around $50. A simple repair requiring one bolt for removal. It's located on the transmission just behind the rear pipe. A good quality gear lube will just about eliminate this problem.

The magnetic speed sensor pick up gets fouled from the metal shavings in the transmission which causes the speedo to stop working and the directionals to stop self canceling because of no input to the ECM from the sensor. The ECM thinks that the bike is standing still because of no input. It will also set a code which gives you a red light on the dash.
Use of a good gear oil will almost eliminate this problem completely.

The sensor pickup is a bit more hidden on the later 07- model bikes under the starter.
To the right of the VSS is the Neutral safety switch with the two plugs on it and to the left is the main battery ground connection if you ever need to clean it.

I could be mistaken but I think 94 or 95 were the last years of the cable drive speedo's all my bikes are cable drive my 94 dyna has cable drive but the 95 was electronic think the other models went electronic for 96 model year
Ok electronic confirmed SENSOR, speed Part no. 74402-95B

Brian

Last edited:
I am back and finally got a chance to work on this speedo issue. I found the speed sensor on top of the transmission, I had to get to it in a very tight space but was able to remove the allen nut and wipe down the sensor. No shavings were there and just a light film of grease (gear oil?). I reattached the sensor and took it for a ride still the same issue, no speedo and tach not incrementing. I then pull diagonostics and bank 2 and 8 were set. Bank 2 indicates "Speed sensor power output shorted high or open", bank 8 indicates "Speedometer power over voltage". Help me please, thanks in advance.

Per my notes, see item 10.:
8. Remove sensor and check for accumulation of debris on sensor; if debris is not present, replace sensor. If debris is present, clean sensor and repeat test. Replace if necessary. See the 2001 Softail Service Manual (Part Number 99482-01). 9. Sweep tool has frequency jumps in full scale sweeps. Perform sweep in 3 stages as described in speedometer tester manual. 10. Disconnecting speed sensor or installing speedometer tester will cause code d02 to set.
Also from notes:
Diagnostics cannot be performed if system voltage is less than 9 VDC or greater than 16 VDC. The only exception is d08 which is set when system voltage is greater than 16 VDC.
After all the diagnostic codes are displayed, the speedometer calibration number is displayed (CAL 14 for example).

You may want to check your charging voltage with a Volt-Ohm meter. Test at 2K rpm or better.
tourbox

I finally got a chance to work on this again. I checked voltage and it check out with the idle(14.1) and 2000rpms (14.6). The d02 code could be me disconnecting it to clean it. The d08 code still stumps me because the voltage ranges check out ok. Now what to try.

Back