free website stats program 2001 wide glide carb with security no start | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 wide glide carb with security no start

Hello HD riders,
I'm active duty navy and have been deployed alot in last 9 years but here is my situation....2001 wide glide carb model with 7800 miles only. I rode it and parked it in the garage and went to ride it the other day and start button did nothing(security seems like it deactivates when pressing fob twice) so I checked start relay and swapped it out with 2 other ones and same thing no start buton..not even a click...so i volt checked the relay with on off switch and when switch is on i have 2 hot 12 volt leads on start solenoid, with run switch off i have only one hot lead..so i think switch is working. today I jumped starter and got bike to crank but has no fire and still the start button won't work...do you have any ideas on what gremlin crawled into my bike while sitting in garage with battery tender hooked up...thanks

sorry i meant the start button pressed and the back leg of relay energizes to 12 volts...I ran a 14ga jump wire from that relay leg to the small starter wire on other side of bike and it will turn over now and fired off a few times while i was flipping on/off switch back and fourth and now I can't even get it to do that...has no fire and start button won't work unless the relay is jumped over to the starter small wire

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so now i have a 14 guage jump wire from the back lead of start relay over to small wire on starter so the start switch works and will crank the bike. """I got the bike to fire up while switching the on/off switch back and fourth but will only run for a few seconds and die..any ideas

(security seems like it deactivates when pressing fob twice)

What indication do you see that tells you that.

Your sure the security FOB batteries good. The security lamp in the speedo helps & tells you what is going on. Does the lamp:

Not flash at all
flash every second
flash every 2 seconds
flash 3 times a second
Stays on solid with key off
Stays on solid w/ key ON.
If you press and hold the fob button for 15 seconds, do the turn signals blink twice?

As far as the start relay goes.
Make sure "IGN" fuse and "Security" Fuse are both good. Remove the start Relay and look at the bottom of the relay for pin out nomenclature.
Identify 86,85,30,87and 87A to corresponding relay SOCKET positions.

Now remove the start relay. With ign Key ON, you should measure 12v power at # 30 (at relay socket w/ relay removed).
Now with engine Kill/Run switch in ON position, when you press the bars Start Button (crank button), you should read 12v on start relay socket pin # 86.

Does that happen.

I rode the bike 30 miles 2 weeks ago and parked it in the garage always had good fuel in it and stablizer when stored. I noticed the security key stays on after check engine light goes out the entire time until i turn the ignition off or on/off switch. I did the code test and came up with 22,23 and 34 and reset it and watched for both turn signals to flash twice and those code come back....I do have a badlands turn signal break switch wired in to make the turn signals act as break lights too.

====================================================

I do get the correct responses as Hoople described on the relay and thats where I ran the jump wire from relay leg #86 to the small wire on the starter so that i could get the bike to spin over. I am leaning toward an alarm issue on this one because like a dummy I never carry the FOBS and when i moved the bike to my new place i parked it and set the alarm and locked the forks after 10 years of never setting the alarm. and this happens, thats why I have a strong feeling my tssm is not comunicating with the ignition module, what i don't understand is why I have 2 seperate issues.... the start button not working the way it should and the other is not having any park at plugs. and then I got it to start 3 times yesterday and run for a few seconds and die while flipping the on/off switch on off back and fourth playing havik on my starter. I have cleaned battery leads and all grounds that i can see, I have a gel battery with 13 volts while 2 amp charger is on battery. I measured volts on center wire of coil plug while cranking bike and it don't fall below 10.4 volts.

====================================================

all fuses are good and changed out with new 15amp blue fuses and volt meter checked.

Hoople are relays different even if pins look the same because i took 3 relays out of a dodge truck tha i have here and they look the same so thats why i used them. i will stop by harley today and buy a replacement relay for a harley

i thought the battery would be good if i hold button down and bike arms itself and if i click it twice the turn signals flash and secuity key goes off but it does come back on when i start cranking the bike over.

reset it and watched for both turn signals to flash twice and those code come back....

And the codes came back? I don't think they ever left to begin with. If you know of a way to clear diagnostic codes on your year bike without a scan tool or waiting 50 good key cycles, please share it with me.

i got the info from this site somewhere

said to turn ignition on/off, om/off, on with thumb switcht off then press left turn once wait for one 4 way flash then hit left turn twice and wait for 2 four way flashes then hit left turn again and wait for 3 four way flashes then hit right turn and count the 4way blinks and after test is complete hold left turn in for 4 seconds until you see 4ways blink twice and it should clear out any stored codes. i'm not saying i'm right that i cleared the codes out just saying what codes came up when i did the sequence for pulling the codes.

Back