free website stats program 2001 ultra electrical nightmare | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 ultra electrical nightmare

coachableharley

ok my ultra has started shutting off, and by that i mean i loose everything. the circuit breaker is popping. now ive replaced the ignition switch, regulator and all the relays and the breaker. also it does it only if its hot outside. today it died on me 12 time in 13 miles and its 97 degrees today. it didnt do it all winter (if u call vegas having a winter). any suggestions would be great im going to have to tear it down and find it either way.

I say ya got a short somewhere in the harness where cant say but check postive battery cable and main power to fuse box .. got to be soemthing that is drawing a good amount of power

ok my ultra has started shutting off, and by that i mean i loose everything. the circuit breaker is popping. now ive replaced the ignition switch, regulator and all the relays and the breaker. also it does it only if its hot outside. today it died on me 12 time in 13 miles and its 97 degrees today. it didnt do it all winter (if u call vegas having a winter). any suggestions would be great im going to have to tear it down and find it either way.

Are you still running a 40 amp breaker, or have you upgraded to the 50? May not solve the problem, but it is step one anyway.

TQ

ive replaced the breaker with a 50 amp and as far as the short goes the only down side to that is it seams to be heat related. thats why i went with the regulator and switch first

ive replaced the breaker with a 50 amp and as far as the short goes the only down side to that is it seams to be heat related. thats why i went with the regulator and switch first

Good. OK, run through this stuff just to make sure the main bits are good:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

Then the next time you start having the problem, pull all your fuses and start reinstalling until you can identify where the short may be. Then it is just hunting!!

TQ

Another clue is that the short is close likely on the primary wiring side, because the wiring is pretty "stout" and something would have smoked if it got to smaller guage wiring or if the short was in the accessory fused secondary side, as those smaller fuses would have blown.

If you have the electrical schematic trace all primary (battery/starter cables for cuts or abrasion; charging system wiring and finally the heavy main harness wiring before the fused/accessory box secondary circuits for chafing, cable clamp/ties cutting into the main harness or (horror upon horrors...mods done to add accessories (splices, errant electrical/duct taping) including the handlebar control wiring (wiring pass thrus improperly chamfered with sharp edges are shall we say "notorious" etc. Work carefully and methodically...a little "undercover" work with a magnifying glass, a DMM and orange popsicle/fiberglass stick should allow you to probe even the remotest areas for pinched or cut insulation.:newsmile071:

Last edited:
Back