free website stats program 2001 softail standard fork help | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 softail standard fork help

NickS

I am working on my bros 2001 softail standard. we are trying to put the progressive lowering kit in. We got the 1st tube apart with no problem. the 2nd tube is being difficult. The fork nut seems to be frozen to the tube, we have tried different clamps, and a lil heat but no luck, the fork is spinning. Have any of you experienced this and if so what did you do to fix it? thanks for the help guys.

3 Questions.

When you say you applied some heat how did you do it and with what type of tool.
Where you able to raise the leg in the triple tree so when you did apply heat, it just was not being "sinked" into the top triple tree. When you removed the other nut, did you see any evidence of locktite on the threads.

3 Questions.

When you say you applied some heat how did you do it and with what type of tool.
Where you able to raise the leg in the triple tree so when you did apply heat, it just was not being "sinked" into the top triple tree. When you removed the other nut, did you see any evidence of locktite on the threads.

heat- small propane torch.

raise the tree- the forks are off the bike, we raised through the tree and reclamped.

locktite- no locktite on other thread

Nick,
I take it you are concerned about messing up the beautiful chrome nut because we both know an air impact would take it off fast.

I do know from experience a propane flame is nothing like a real 1000 watt heat gun. A real heat gun lets you get a nice blanket of heat going that will results in a temperature higher than a flame without discoloring the metal.

Others may have a "click click" fix for your problem. Lets wait and see.

EDITEDITEDITEDITEDITEDITEDITEDITEDITEDITEDITEDIT

I misspoke...I said the fork nut, ACTUALLY the fork PLUG is frozen. Sorry guys.

I am working on my bros 2001 softail standard. we are trying to put the progressive lowering kit in. We got the 1st tube apart with no problem. the 2nd tube is being difficult. The fork nut seems to be frozen to the tube, we have tried different clamps, and a lil heat but no luck, the fork is spinning. Have any of you experienced this and if so what did you do to fix it? thanks for the help guys.

Show me (don't have the 2001, so check both):

FRONT FORK - FXST & FXSTB - 2000 Harley Davidson FXST

FRONT FORK - FXST/I & FXSTB/I - 2002 Harley Davidson Softail Standard FXST

TQ

Is that part that won't come out, just "o" ring inserted in tube. It does not have threads in it correct? We are just talking about some "wall corrosion" is keeping it in there correct?

Is that part that won't come out, just "o" ring inserted in tube. It does not have threads in it correct? We are just talking about some "wall corrosion" is keeping it in there correct?

No, the picture shows no threads for some reason, but there definetly are. I took the other side out already, so yes there are threads. probly thinking of getting a two sided socket and impact wrench it off. Good idea??

How are you able to grab it now? Are you able to put some good twisting force on it now and it just won't move?

Just curious. What does the service manual say when it is RE-assembled. Is there a torque spec for it and if so what is it. I am just trying to get an idea what the tightness is to start with.

Back