2001 Road King, just stopped running

Discussion in 'Police Bikes' started by A10 Warthog 1962, Jul 26, 2011.

1. A10 Warthog 1962

A10 Warthog 1962 New Member

I am new to this forum, looks like an awesome tool. I just bought a 2001 Road King Police Bike. It has 4800 miles on it. I have driven for 800 miles. I was cruising at about 65MPH and it just stopped running. Like you shut the fuel off or turned off the key. When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump running and stopping like normal. The engine light goes off. Just wont start..... I need a starting point? Maybe a process of illimination?

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Harley Davidson Community Start here:s

3. judgeman6970

judgeman6970 Member

Funny, almost the exact same thing happened to me, with my '01 EFI Road King with about the same miles... had "spark" & "injector pulse", so proceeded to look into the fuel delivery. First replaced the fuel filter & all the lines/check valves in the tank...the bike then started but died immediately & wouldnt re-start. ended up checking for fuel "flow" to the injectors(wasnt any), and had to replace the "fuel supply line"(from tank to motor)...now all good...good luck with yours, and if yours is "carb" and not "efi", most of this info wont apply:D

4. A10 Warthog 1962

A10 Warthog 1962 New Member

Thank you very much Judgeman. My bike is EFI. I will start looking into it this evening. I will get back with you on the results.

5. rking_99

rking_99 Member

Post is a little old, but would like to know how this came out. I had the same thing on my 1999 RKC, it ended up being the crank position sensor.

6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Which is exactly why we ask everyone to remember to return to the threads they start asking for help, and post what the resolution was. That way everyone benefits!

7. cojo

cojo New Member

i have 01 road king carb replaced ecm carnk sensor and coil cant figuare why no spark

8. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

Were you testing for spark with an inline spark tester? Newer models, from what I've heard, must have the plugs installed to test for spark. I don't know about '01's.
    tourbox

9. cojo

cojo New Member

i have power to pin b on conecter to coil but when i crank it pin a or c theres nothing

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

[​IMG] have a look here for testing your coil