free website stats program 2001 Road King dying | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Road King dying

FHMWAYNE

My 2001 Road King dies after it is warm (not hot) As soon as it cools it will start, the longer I let it cool the longer it will run before it dies. I am about 6 hours from a dealership so hopeing for some suggestions on something I might check before I loaded it up.
It doesn't seem to miss or hesitate it is just completely dead.
Any hlep would be appreciated.
Regards, wayne

Welcome to the forum Wayne. Do the lights and everything go out, or just the engine dies? Any trouble codes? I know they had a recall for the breaker to be upgraded to a 50 amp if you're loosing all power, I've seen coils work when cold then go out when warmed up. I'm sure some one here's had that problem and will nail it on the head for you. Good luck

Lights everything is good just no spark and no codes. I was told the crank ps was the only sensor that does no show codes. Not sure if this is true. I would think if it was the crank ps it would run rough, but what do i know.
Thanks

It could be the coil, crank sensor or cam sensor. Listen to the injectors while you crank it, if you can hear them clicking then it will more than likely be the coil. Most of the time when a crank or cam sensor fail, they just fail. Coil can work until it gets warm & then fail. Good luck

Back