free website stats program 2001 Police Road King conversion for Touring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Police Road King conversion for Touring

I have a 2000 Roadking Police which looked identical to yours in the picture. I rode till end of season (changed seat for regular Roadking seat ) just remove the hinge mechanism and air seat components and buy the seat mount screw (captive nut) that goes in back fender. There is a little black hd plug filling hole. If you put a wire tie through that nut you can feed it up through bottom side of fender without removing wheel then slide circlip on and cut off wire tie. Voila' you have the seat mounted. I replaced my saddle bags with some new 2008 Streetglide bags I bought off Ebay. They fit perfectly. Everything basically bolts right on the police bike. I rebuilt the whole thing and repainted over the winter. We can get the run flat tires here but opted to go for the stock HD touring Dunlops as the run flats say they are not rated for 2 up riding? I also put the screaming eagle 95 big bore kit in and it runs fantastic. Just came back from a 1000 mile trip and i got better gas mileage with my carb then my buddies fuel injected ElectraGlide ? Go figure? Although I did rebuild my carb as per Gliders recommendations and it runs/idles and accelerates flawlessly and I only put 2 washer under the needle. HAHAHA Hope this helps. And have fun. I love my Roadking Police

Spent the day chasing rattles, squeaks and loose/missing fasteners.

- One saddlebag was missing the rubber spacer where it sits on the support bar. Made a temporary fix with self-adhesive rubber weatherstrip tape until I buy the correct spacer. Also tighted/replaced the screws in the latches.
- The handlebar cover front screw was missing the nut, and the nacelle trim piece was totally loose. Took everything apart and remounted, also was a good time to adjust the handlebars up to fit my long arms.
- The windshield was missing a few screws, and the remaining screws were very loose.
- The rear rubber muffler mount was squeaking badly, but a quick shot of WD40 did the trick.
- Bored out the remainder of the rear muffler baffle. The tone is noticeably deeper but not obnoxious. I like it! Also noticed a second baffle behind the first one, and can drill that one too of I desire an even louder exhaust.
- Bought the seat mount captive nut for the back fender. Thanks Bum for the quick installation tip.
- The rear run-flat still has nubbies on it, the front run-flat is only about 20% worn so won’t have to mess with tires for a while.
- My King is injected so I don’t have to worry about carb rebuilds or jetting.

The drumline has been exorcised and I can actually hear the exhaust now. After a days tinkering it now drives like a new bike (but certainly does not look like one).

Received and installed the Road King seat tonight. Boy did it ever move me down and forward. However it is very comfortable, and the rise makes a great little drivers backrest.

Looks like I’ll have no problems reaching highway pegs now…

Last edited:
Good to hear. Just finished spraying the last lid for my saddlebags and a bit of polishing and they will be sweeeet. If you are going to keep the cop bags with the big hockey puck knobs you can buy a set of popup latches off of ebay that get rid of big knobs and look very nice. You push button , knob pops up you twist and you are in your saddlebag. I just liked the cleaner look of the FlhX painted latches so went with that. Also it got rid of the last of my rattles. HAHAHAHa Have fun with your bike.:D

I just purchased a 2006 police bike. I moved the air cyclinder for the seat to the right saddle bag above the ABS system. It fits really well. I am keeping the single cop seat and added a pillon for the passenger. Removed the steel plate where all the police gear was mounted.

Does anyone have an idea about luggage rack and sissy bar. I would like to keep the base tubing that supported the steel plate. It ties the license plate to the bike really well.

Here is the setup I have on my bike. It is non-quick removable, however I rarely ride solo so it is not a problem. The license plate bracket is unique and is included with the rack.

Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Rack.jpg

As Delmar said ; I have done the same to mine (in fact other then the bags mine is identical right down to the passenger backrest hahaahaha). The police bike is really almost identical to the regular touring with some electrical changes, special seat (which you can change) and the rear mounts for their junk. Once you take that plate off you can mount regular chrome rack on there and you are away. I found a used fairing this fall that I may turn into a quick removable so I can put it on or take it off as I need to?
:bigsmiley11:

Back