free website stats program 2001 Police Road King conversion for Touring | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Police Road King conversion for Touring

Delmar

As of tonight I have officially moved-up from a Sportster to a Road King. Just bought a 2001 ex-Police bike on eBay, have yet to pick it up but am already asking newbie questions.

First order of business: I have to immediately civilianize it for two-up touring so am aggressively watching eBay for a touring (doublewide) seat, passenger backrest and floorboards.

If there is anyone here with intimate Police bike experience I would greatly appreciate your kind assistance in determining what modifications need to be performed so I can mount used non-Police touring equipment. Thanks in advance!!!

!BR+odCwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVks,BK!2PekLmg~~_1.JPG

If you want to leave the Police air ride seat on,you can add a Mustang rear pillon or any Road King seat
Seats : Mustang Motorcycle Products, Inc., What a Difference Comfort Makes!.
Pretty much any Road King accessories will bolt up to the FLHP. Altho the tour paks need a little more work because of the way the Police bags open, the tour pak(if you want one)would have to be shimmed up about 3/4" to give the saddlebag lid clearance to open.
Good Luck....enjoy your new ride:D

Thanks Caper.

My plan is to totally remove the Police seat and air assembly considering the current seat is ratty. My concern is that the Police seat has a different hinged front, and obviously there is nothing on the fender to secure the back of the seat. Can I buy standard non-Police brackets, or will something need to be fabricated? Some of the seats I saw on eBay had a bolt tab in rear, and a slat (?) in the front that appears to slide into a matching tab somewhere.

I have no desire for a tour pak so that won’t be an issue. However I do need to figure out how to mount a backrest, does not need to be removable.

Once I receive the bike I can determine if there are predrilled holes for the floorboards. Worse case I can have the floorboard brackets directly welded on.

Last edited:
There are mounts for the passenger floorboard brackets...no problem there...once you get possession you'll see that Road King seats and touring accessories(pass. floorboards, backrests,luggage racks) are bolt on.

Comfort stitch double-tractor seat..…check. $207 + $13 shipping.

ad52_1.JPG

Will pickup the bike on Wednesday, 300-mile return trip for its maiden voyage.

Thats the same seat I have on mine right now, its a comfy seat ,just not waterproof.I've got a Mustang on the way.
Enjoy the maiden voyage.:D

Rode the bike home with absolutely no problems. The motor ran sweet & smooth, and the only thing I missed when compared to the 2009 rental Road King was a sixth gear. Ran about 3500RPM at 75MPH all the 300-miles home, and fuel mileage on the first tank measured 39MPG. I’m sure more prudent riding will improve that figure.

The idle vibration was just as bad as the 2009 rental, dang that bike really jumps while parked. Compounding the problem was the percussion accompaniment from the rattling saddlebags and squeaking something in the rear (rubber exhaust mounts?). The quiet stock exhaust system did little to drone out the ensemble. Now I know why big twin owners constantly blip the throttle, it’s to get the engine to smooth out.

The air support seat is definitely cushy for the spine and kidneys, but the saddle itself had little padding so I was quite sore near the end (pun intended). I assume my particular ratty seat had the old padding worn or crushed so offered very little cushioning.

I plan to install highway pegs on the crash bars, but noticed the bars are waaaaay forward even for my long legs, and I’m 6’-3”. How do you mount highway pegs where you can actually reach them?

I peeked into the stock mufflers and noticed HD conveniently located the baffles near the tip, and even included a small hole for a pilot. My cordless drill with a ½” bit quickly enlarged the holes. The exhaust sound was marginally louder and deeper, so it looks like a second ½” hole in each baffle will be required.

Overall I am very ecstatic with the Road King, best $6350 I ever spent. Once I finish the touring additions and detailing it will make quite a nice machine.

Last edited:
For mounting the highway pegs, I used HDs 360 degree adjustable mounts. Pretty nice setup. Enjoy your nice looking scooter.

for high way pegs i went with kuryakyn iso pegs with the longhorn mount lot of adjustment there to get it just right ..

DRilled baffles aint gonna get it done .. spend the money and get proper slipons

have this same bike. installed tall boy h-d seat w/ adj. backrest. removable tour-pak w/ light kit and rack. glide pro bushings, baker 5 qt pan, power commander, jag 10 row cooler w/ bypass. rewire to civilian model, tall boy windscreen, headlight modulator (the better to be seen, my dear), upgrade to twin bulb halogen headlight and halogen passing lamps, kuryakin silver bullets w/ 30 watt bulbs along side turn signals. changed out the controls and handgrips and added an air horn. have a few other doo-dads but these are the major improvements. oh, put on touring mufflers w/ shark fin caps, se air cleaner and twin antennas. closed off the rear cylinder exhaust to the right side w/ a 1 5/8 freeze plug and welded it in place for a factory true dual set up. 68 hp and 77 lb/ft on a dyno and upper 30's to low 40's mileage. got a set of metzler me 880 sneaks since harley won't sell run flats to us regular folks.

this bike is air ride front and rear and will give excellent handling. get some mobil 1 20/50 and real gear lube and primary fluid as these guys recommend. makes a world of difference.

Back