free website stats program 2001 flhtcui idle | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 flhtcui idle

alto

I tried the self-help and did print out Morelli Idle speed adjustment service bulletin. This is, this is way over my head as I'm not a mechanic.I'll try to make this as short as possible. At the end of last year, my Ultra went to dealer to have two new tires installed. When I picked up the bike, a tech told me he adjusted my idle as it was too low. There was no extra charge..just the tires. Since then, when the bike is cold or runs short trips, idle is fine..However, after 50 or so miles and it's hot, the idle is 1500. The tech said nothing about an advanced /computer map or?..Just that he 'adjusted' the idle to be a bit higher.
The idle picks up to 1500 after 50 or so miles...Don't know what to do.
Stock except for Stage 1...Hope I explained this well enough. I'd welcome any suggestions that I could do to reverse whatever the tech did. Perhaps the answer is to take it back to the dealer?.

If your idle issue is a result of the HD service technician's adjustment...peddle right back to the dealership with your paperwork & let them know the issue is a result of their work. If you're not comfortable making any adjustments, this is the best way to get your problem solved b/c it's their mistake.

I'm guessing the mech isn't familiar w/MM system and made your adjustment when bike wasn't fully warm. Should be easy fix for them...good luck!

Iceman. Thank you for your thoughts and thank you for your service. The paperwork had only the charge for my two new tires..The tech just did something extra. Although I'd rather not pay for service to fix what wasn't broken, I will to have the bike right again. I'll talk with the dealer and explain the situation..whatever it is, it is. And, I should have brought it right back as soon as I saw the idle was upping itself to 1500 after a good run.
Again, thank you for your thoughts.

Not a problem and I'm betting this dealership will take care of your situation, no matter if it's documented, or not & happened last year. If the tech who wrenched on your bike's still around - even better. I may have turned 50, but mind's not going...yet. :p :D

Do you happen to remember how low the idle was before the "free" adjustment?

Have you sprayed carb cleaner into the little holes in the throttle body? They are at 10 and 2 o'clock after you remove the air cleaner. One on each side of the 2 ports. Won't hurt to start there I do mine at least 2 times a year.

Idle was about 900...He raised it and it was about 1100...Then, it would jump to 1500...Took it out today. After warming up and, maybe 10 miles, it was back to 1500 at idle. I haven't tried the suggestion of spraying carb cleaner in holes behind the air filter..I'll remove the air cleaner to see if I see them and try that too...Thank you all! I really appreciate the advice and response.

My bike cold idles at 1100 & 900 warm. Book says 950 to 1050 to ensure charge is maintained.
WAP.gif

I appreciate the info from all. I have printed out the Service Bulletin for the Magnetti-Marelli Idle adjustment ( found on the self-help section). At first, I thought it was way over my head..re-read it several times now and it does seem like it's something I'll try. I have the service manual, will look for the two fuses I must disconnect and have the procedure /paper down pat...then, I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll take it to the dealer. Bike runs great otherwise. ( I wish I had bought the Ultra years and years ago. It's what I always wanted...Still have my 83 Roadster but I'll probably never drive it again. Gave it to one son in law to use until he buys something else..then, it will go to my other son in law. It was my dad's so.....when I 'kick', they can throw it in the hole with me. ;o) ))

Back